Immune System

Tori & Floss

-- Is there anything that can be added to the emergency diet to help horses build their immune system to help with lots of abscessing? Thank you.
Tori

December, 2016

Adelaide Australia

Case History  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tori%20and%20Floss

Hi, Tory -  The immune system is best supported by minerals and vitamins balanced to the hay. Forgive me if I have missed this, but I haven't seen a hay analysis for Floss. The Laminitis Mix is pretty good, but might or might not be addressing the mineral needs for her.  I don't see any iodine in that mix, and iodine is quite important for all metabolic and immune functions. The selenium might not be quite high enough.   If the copper and zinc aren't enough, the hoof quality will suffer. The other reason for recurrent abscesses is foot form; if the trim isn't all that it should be, there can be recurrent abscesses.

Other than than, immune system boosters include whey protein isolate, and colostrum, with special attention to vitamin E and selenium.  Here is the file on immune boosters: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/3%20Cushings%20Disease%20-%20PPID/Immune%20System%20Supplements%20for%20PPID.pdf  It is found in the Cushing's folder:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/3%20Cushings%20Disease%20-%20PPID

Hope that helps!
--

Jaini Clougher (BSc,BVSc)

Merlin (over the bridge) ,Maggie,Gypsy, Ranger

BC 09
ECIR mod/support

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy

Tori & Floss

--
Thank you Jaini.
Luckily Floss is not suffering from abscesses and only had 1 throughout her laminitic recovery. My query was more a general question after a discussion with a friend.