Clinical signs

Sue Hansen

I increased my mare's Prescend Nov. 14 from 4 mg to 4.5 mg.  She still has goopy eyes, but they are brighter and her legs are stiff and feet are sore.  Is this indicative of needing another increase in her Prescend?   My vet will only pull blood to check ACTH 6 weeks after any change in dosage and I don't want to wait if she is in need of an increase.   Her appetite is good.
--
Sue H.
June 2017. Markle, IN USA

Hi, Sue - did you mean to say that she is still a bit stiff and sore, or no longer stiff and sore?  If she is still stiff and sore, then definitely increase the pergolide, up to 5 mg at least.  The goopy eyes may well mean that she needs more, as well. The seasonal rise for my guys lasts well into late December, so Dawn may still be dealing with that - this means that getting an increase in the Prascend is important (if she is stiff and sore)
--

Jaini Clougher (BSc,BVSc)

Merlin (over the bridge) ,Maggie,Gypsy, Ranger

BC 09
ECIR mod/support

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy

Sue Hansen

My mare is still stiff and sore so I will increase her Prescend to 5 today.  Approximately how long does it take to start seeing improvement after increasing the dosage?  I have been giving the increase 2 weeks before I add an additional .5 to her daily dose.  Should I not wait that long?  Thank you for all your help.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Sue H.
June 2017. Markle, IN USA
Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Dawn  .
Dawn's photo album  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9764  .

I wouldn't wait quite that long. Most of us see improvements within days, assuming the pergolide dosage is the main culprit, and there isn't pain from winter effects, diet, trim etc. A week between dose increases is probably better. I usually tweak up every 4 days, but all horses are different.