End of Year Letter

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

ECIR was founded with the goal of disseminating accurate information regarding metabolic disease in horses. Originally, the focus was on PPID but it soon became apparent that hyperinsulinemic conditions, now referred to as EMS, can exist separate from PPID.

In addition to sharing the best scientific information, we have always paid careful attention to the details of each and every horse, pony, donkey and mule, helping caretakers interpret what they found and saw within the framework of current knowledge and also used the patterns we saw emerging to keep our members ahead of the curve.

As a result, many things now widely accepted were actually first recognized here, such as:

  • Effective diet control of insulin can be healthful and should not involve starvation

  • The seasonal ACTH rise and its consequences

  • Best PPID control is achieved by dosing pergolide in amounts that normalize ACTH

  • Effects of cold weather

  • Role of iron overload in EMS

  • Vitex for refractory PPID symptoms and Jiaogulan for laminitis.

This past year we have seen significant progress in learning how to use cabergoline for PPID horses that do not respond well to pergolide and canagliflozin in horses with refractory insulin elevations. We saw the first scientific publication with the ECIR name: https://www.openveterinaryjournal.com/OVJ-2019-04-078%20E.M.%20Kellon%20and%20K.M.%20Gustafson.pdf and plan at least two more for the coming year.  Our first educational film series is nearing completion https://www.ecirhorse.org/video.php. We have undertaken the monumental task of designing and building a new case history form, which will soon be finalized. It is designed to allow access from almost all devices and will allow easier retrieval of information for researchers.

Everyone working to keep ECIR alive and flourishing is, and always has been, an unpaid volunteer -- but we need funds to carry these efforts forward. Since December 1, ECIR has raised just under $5000 from 24 donors. We thank each of you for your support in this campaign and throughout the year.

We are pleased to announce that a generous anonymous supporter will match your donation from now until the end of the year. Every $25 you donate will turn into a $50 donation. Every $100 will turn into a $200 donation.

Can we count on your help?

Here are two links to help you learn all about your donation through Mightycause, a respected donor-advised 501(c)3, which allows for safe, worry-free donations via credit card or Paypal.

You can donate one-time or as a recurring monthly donor.

HOW TO make a donation:

https://support.mightycause.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015180112-How-to-Make-a-Donation-on-Mightycause

HOW TO MANAGE your recurring donation:

https://support.mightycause.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015176772-How-to-Set-Up-and-Manage-Your-Recurring-Donation-on-Mightycause.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

LJ Friedman

Great letter.  Wondering why vitex made the letter?  I thought it didnt do much??especially when used instead of cp.  , prascend, etc

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Jana Lyn Wiley

Will anyone talk about the role of CBDs in pituitary adenoma?

On Dec 12, 2019, at 1:11 PM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

[...]

gypsylassie

LJ, I think it made the letter as helpful in cases of stubborn coats that won't shed out, even when everything else is on track.   Definitely not as a substitute for pergolide.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 05:09 PM, Jana Lyn Wiley wrote:
Will anyone talk about the role of CBDs in pituitary adenoma?
I will.

There's nothing to support a role at this time, for CBD or any other cannabinoid.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

LJ Friedman

this link goes smoothly to donate, as i just donated   Thanks for allowing jesse to live his senior years so comfortably and happy

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 01:11 PM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD wrote:

including through your holiday shopping, see: https://www.ecirhorse.org/how-to-help-ECIR.php

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Bobbie Day

Just wanted to say (again and again) how much I value this group, not only the vets and mods but the support given to everyone that enters this site.
Dr. Kellon I can’t do much but made a small monthly donation, and as I mentioned before My Amazon smile account has ECIR as my non profit.
Lately I have been a little overwhelmed with everything going on in my life and to know I can get unbiased, educated help with my horses means a lot.

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

patcyr1@...

Trying to make a donation, but instructions not helping at all.

Pat Cyr

[...]

Nancy C

Try this Pat

https://www.mightycause.com/organization/Equine-Cushings-And-Insulin-Resistance-Group?embed=button

PM me if you still have problems.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Nancy C

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 05:23 PM, gypsylassie wrote:
I think it made the letter as helpful in cases of stubborn coats that won't shed out, even when everything else is on trac
LJ

Agree with Laura.  This issue addressed is "refractory PPID symptoms".  IOW signs not resolved while ACTH seems to be in control on pergolide alone.

Thank you so much for your donation.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Daisy Shepherd

donation made, daisy and tiko

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 2:11 PM Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

[...]

Amy

Donating before years end.  Probably this weekend.
Thanks for all of the knowledge and help over the last 3 years for my love, Stormy.
--
- Amy 10-2016

Mooresville, Indiana

Stormy, Case History, Photo Album

Mary Kane

Tried to donate via paypal. No dice. Just had my hip replaced. Will get up and get card soon :)

--
Mary Kane
Maple Valley WA

Nancy C

Mary

Don't get up! You can use Paypal.

When you get to the payment segment that FIRST shows you credit card window, look to the upper right corner for a very very inconspicuous arrow.

Click on that and a window opens that allows you to chose Paypal.

Hope this helps.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Carla Anderson Peters

Hello,
Let me begin by giving thanks to all that this group does for our horses.  I make an automatic monthly donation, so are the "automatic" donations matched also?  If not, I will make a separate donation.
Thank you!
Carla Peters
Gunnar and Cupcake

--
Carla

December 2013, WI

Cupcake and Gunnar's Case Histories

Cupcake's Photos

Gunnar's Photos

Nancy C

A million thanks Carla.  You are wonderful.

Your regular recurring donation will count.

Many thanks.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Lisa Courtney

Yes you can count on me!!! My pony Cheyenne is alive and feeling much better because of your study!!!! Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,
Lisa Courtney

On Dec 12, 2019, at 4:11 PM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Lisa!!

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Trisha DePietro

-- 35 years ago, I didn't have this website or information available and I struggled with my Cushings pony...the vets couldn't help me- none of the drugs worked and getting the Pergolide to get into the horse was so challenging....it was heartbreaking....I kept my pony going for 14 years, it was not easy, but Dr. Kellon had written a book back then called " The Older Horse"  and she talked about when it would be time to let go...she talked about Quality of life and I would read that chapter every time we had a set back or another bout of colic or laminitis- it was the best information....I was always able to rehab her back to her baseline....and as the years went on of course her new normal baseline shifted. In the end, I think I made the right decision to let her go and it was because of Dr. Kellon's book....after that horrible 14 years....I vowed that I would never go through that again with another horse, ever. And I would euthanize if I got positive test results....well, funny how life works. BOTH of my  new horses tested positive for IR and Cushings! And I said to myself, I have to Euthanize them! There is no hope! But my vet at the time said, I didn't have to! She told me about this website and how much it has helped her as a veterinarian and a horseowner...and when I looked it up and found that it was Dr. Kellon? I was soooo happy! I knew it would be a great website, a factual, research based plethora of information and I knew I would be ok....scared to move forward with this, but I would be ok and more importantly, I think my horses are safe too! So, I am happy to donate and also want to say to Dr. Kellon and all of the vets and support people - THANK YOU for doing this...You are making a difference beyond what you know....
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018
NH
Dolly and Hope's Case Histories https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Trisha%20and%20Dolly%20-%20Hope