Cluster of Severe EMS Cases

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I'm trying to collect information on all the cases of severely elevated insulin  (200 uIU/1200 pmol  or higher), usually also with elevated glucose, in horses or ponies/minis located in western Canada and along the west coast of the US. If you have one of these, please send the following information to drkellon "at" gmail.com.

1.  The animal's location, including nearest city or town, and how long you have been there
2.  Animal's age, breed and sex
3.  Insulin and glucose at diagnosis or time of severe worsening
4.  Where your hay is grown
5.  Other items in the diet
6.  Treatments tried and response to them
7.  Link to your case history on ECIR if you have one

Any other comments are welcome.

Thank you.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

Leslie Berro, MM

Wondering whether the new Case Report Form has been released that I saw mentioned somewhere.  Merry Christmas wishes to all and a blessed New Year!

Thank you,
Leslie Berro, MM

MusicalFreestylesbyLeslie.com

so please forgive any typos

On Dec 18, 2019, at 2:07 PM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

I'm trying to collect information on all the cases of severely elevated insulin  (200 uIU/1200 pmol  or higher), usually also with elevated glucose, in horses or ponies/minis located in western Canada and along the west coast of the US. If you have one of these, please send the following information to drkellon "at" gmail.com.

1.  The animal's location, including nearest city or town, and how long you have been there
2.  Animal's age, breed and sex
3.  Insulin and glucose at diagnosis or time of severe worsening
4.  Where your hay is grown
5.  Other items in the diet
6.  Treatments tried and response to them
7.  Link to your case history on ECIR if you have one

Any other comments are welcome.

Thank you.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale

Leslie Berro

Charlotte, NC
July 2019

Nancy C

Hi Leslie

Not yet but soon.

We have been working on elephant gestation time frame.

Look for large marching band and fireworks when it is unveiled.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Tanna

Dr. K,

Not sure if it could be linked but one of our local, west coast, vet offices posted a heads up indicating that they have seen a number of cases of coronavirus lately.

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

Tanna

A very significant portion of hay our local suppliers get will be imported from central Washington and/or the Central interior of B.C

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

bokayarabians@...

I have 2 horses whose insulin was over 1200half Quarterhorse mare. Libby is 11 and a QuarterHorse, Arab Warmblood. daughter of Target. Her insulin also was over 1200. We grow our own hay on our farm. They get hay cubes, timothy hay pellets, salt, flax vitamin E, bovine colostrum and jiaogulan and spirulina, and local first cut grass hay. My vet put them both on Thryol  L to help lose weight. She didn't hae anything more to help and suggested Libby be put down. We also put them both on metformin for a time but didn't find it helped.  On my own I tried psyllium once a month for a week at night to help them feel full for the night. Also tumeric was added to their diet Hope this helps.

I'm trying to collect information on all the cases of severely elevated insulin  (200 uIU/1200 pmol  or higher), usually also with elevated glucose, in horses or ponies/minis located in western Canada and along the west coast of the US. If you have one of these, please send the following information to drkellon "at" gmail.com.

1.  The animal's location, including nearest city or town, and how long you have been there
2.  Animal's age, breed and sex
3.  Insulin and glucose at diagnosis or time of severe worsening
4.  Where your hay is grown
5.  Other items in the diet
6.  Treatments tried and response to them
7.  Link to your case history on ECIR if you have one

Any other comments are welcome.

Thank you.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale

Kathie with Libby and Sweet P
Cobble Hill, BC, Canada
Aug 2018
Case Histories
Target Photos
Sweet P Photos
Addy Photos
Cherokee Photos

richard

Dear Dr. Kellon - Here's the info you've requested on my mare Sunny whose insulin has consistantly been elevated:

1)  located near Red Bluff in N. California

2)  13 y. o. TWH mare

3)  I started testing her (Cornell) Sept. 2018.  Insulin consistantly over 200 (except 10/12/18 when it was 195.26).  Glucose around 100 in fall of 2018.  She really crashed spring of 2019 - glucose was 202.

4)  Our hay is grown NE of Redding, high plains area around Burney.

5)  Diet:  low sugar/starch mixed grass hay (I don't weigh it but make sure she gets enough to have some left at the next meal.  Being overweight is not one of her problems.), 2 1/2 c. Stabul 1 with 1/2 c. alfalfa pellets (so she'll eat it) twice per day as the carrier for minerals to balance her hay, 3 T. salt, 2000 I.U. Vit. E, 3/4 cup ground flax, 2 T. jiaogulan (divided between AM & PM), 2,000mcg chromium yeast twice per day (I'm grasping at straws!), & 3g AAKG twice per day for cold-induced hoof pain.  Water analysed - no detectable iron found.

6)  1.25mg compounded pergolide (brought her ACTH down nicely but didn't affect insulin) & 22,000 mg Metformin (divided between AM & PM) to lower blood sugar (4/11/19 glucose was 202, 9/6/19 was 139, 12/12/19 was 153).

7)  No case history.

Hope this helps.

Sue (Laurente) & Sunny
N. Calif.
2011
On Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 11:06:57 AM PST, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

I'm trying to collect information on all the cases of severely elevated insulin  (200 uIU/1200 pmol  or higher), usually also with elevated glucose, in horses or ponies/minis located in western Canada and along the west coast of the US. If you have one of these, please send the following information to drkellon "at" gmail.com.

1.  The animal's location, including nearest city or town, and how long you have been there
2.  Animal's age, breed and sex
3.  Insulin and glucose at diagnosis or time of severe worsening
4.  Where your hay is grown
5.  Other items in the diet
6.  Treatments tried and response to them
7.  Link to your case history on ECIR if you have one

Any other comments are welcome.

Thank you.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

bbolton@...

I have three purebred Arabian mares who are PPID/IR. I will start with the oldest:
1. We are in Duncan on southern Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. We cleared the property and put it in pasture using it as a horse farm since 1972. (I think that is 48 years!)
2. The first mare is now 20 years old she is a purebred Arabian born in Santa Maria, Calif, and coming here as a 4 yr old. She has been here 16 years.
3. Do not have insulin & Glucose numbers until 2018 but she was clinically PPID at age 15 and has been on Prascend for 5 years, moving up from 1mg to 3mg over time, and currently on 3.5 compounded pergolide. In Sept 2018 her insulin was 1787 pmol/L ('normal' range 28 -390) glucose 6.5 mmol/L (range 3.6-5.7) and ACTH was 8.1  pmol/L range 4.62-11.66. She was not worsening at this stage but those are numbers she had at the start of a study for producing a product that would hopefully lower insulin/glucose numbers.
4. We currently feed our own-grown grass mix hay. It is analyzed at under 10% s/s (usually around 8%)and previously we brought grass hay in from B.C. interior and Washington state with low s/s (at great cost here on the Island) with even lower numbers to supplement our crop and in years where we did not grow hay. she is fed at 2% bodyweight, all hay is weighed.
5. None of our horses have ever been fed grain. They get minimal beet pulp, timothy/alfalfa cubes, alfalfa pellets, soy hulls moistened to  hold their salt, flax, mag.ox and vitamins/minerals. She also gets 30 min to a couple of hours daily of pasture depending on time of year. Barefoot all her life.
6. Treatment for this mare has been exercise, diet and pergolide. We did try Quiessence with no noticeable effect. She is 15.2+ and basically a constant weight around 1000 lb. although looking ribby for the last several yeas. She has also had laminitic episodes (May 2016 & Apr 2019) and required bute, boots. We also do winter trace clipping to combat sweating. She has always been a big salt eater, a heavy drinker and consequently heavy urinator (we had thought it was her California upbringing). What has made a dramatic turnaround for this horse and our other two mares is WIRX. This is the product developed here on the Island. It is all natural and it dropped this mare's insulin to within 'normal' limits. One year later (Sept 2019) her insulin was 233 (down from 1787, although her glucose was 5.8 just a squeak above range. These readings were taken always 3 hours after first feed of the day. This mare and the others have lost or reduced the fat pads typical of the IR horse over the year as well and their whole demeanor has improved. The only change in this mare's life was the WIRX product.
I'll do my next girl on a separate e-mail.
--
Lynn, Dakhyri (PPID/IR), Khyara, (IR, PPID)
Duncan, BC

Lorna Cane

Hi Lynn,

Is WIRX  the same as G's Formula ?

If not, can you provide a link , please ?

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

Lorna Cane

Found it when I hit Shop.
Scroll down.

gsorganicsolutions.com/shop

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

Lorna Cane

Hi Lynn,

It would be everso helpful for advice to be given, if you'd like to explore the still very high insulin numbers, if you can fill out case histories, add the link to your signature, and indicate in a message when they are up.
Details in messages here get lost amongst the many other posts, so become very time consuming to find. When they are all in one place, as in case history, they allow the overall picture to be seen.
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

Hi Lynn,

I've seen that you've posted a few times but it doesn't look like you have actually done a case history for any of your horses.  If you could do that, it would really help us get the best overall picture of your horses' situation.

Pat Gauvreau <pgauvreau@...>

What is WIRX? I’m on island too in Qualicum Beach.
--
Pat and Savannah
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Savannah
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=22028&p=pcreated,,,50,2,0,0

Sherry Morse

In my opinion, WIRX is in the same category as HEIRO until there are proven studies that it actually works.  As it consists of cinnamon and cranberry there's nothing in it that will do more to 'cure' IR than a controlled diet would.

bbolton@...

I disagree that WIRX is like HEIRO. I have tried HEIRO in the past. All of us desperate horse owners try everything that might help. I found it did nothing. The WIRX  did work! My horses diets did not change other than the addition of this product and it brought down uncontrolled long standing insulin levels on 2 out of 3. It worked much quicker on the study horses that did not have PPID as well as IR. There is NO MAGIC BULLET WITHOUT PROPER DIET BUT if you have a horse that does not respond to all your efforts and you still want it to live like a horse, IMO this product WIRX is worth a try. It certainly won't hurt them. The study was overseen by a vet and included monthly blood work and complete blood panels start and finish to ensure no harm was occurring. I don't believe there is any claim that this product is a 'cure' but it helps those of us that have been struggling with laminitis on EMS horses for whom we are already doing the best we can. Every thing that CAN HELP should be welcomed. I love seeing my mares running around and happy on their own, and I can ride again.
--
Lynn, Dakhyri (IR), Khyara, (IR, PPID)
Duncan, BC

bbolton@...

WIRX is made by G's Organic Solutions based in Duncan on Vancouver Island. They have a website with contact info.
--
Lynn, Dakhyri (IR), Khyara, (IR, PPID)
Duncan, BC
2017

LJ Friedman

wrix sounds like a radio station. ingredients are cinammon and cranberry?  where is the magic?
any refund policy?
-- https://victoriasaddlery.myshopify.com/products/gs-wirx

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ Friedman

i requested field data from wrix
i don’t remember cranberry being something to help with insulin?  thoughts?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Cinnamon is often recommended for human diabetics.

--
Gail Russell 8/30/2008

 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gail%20and%20Brother%20-%20Odin%20-%20Decaffe%20%20-Gunthar .

Nancy C

Cinnamon was trialed here years ago and while popular due to human meds, has not been found to work in horses. ECIR has not routinely recommended it for at least a decade.

From our files: Cinnamon is no longer routinely recommended. It had been hoped to improve insulin sensitivity, but instead it may lower blood sugar (glucose) without lowering insulin levels. Since most IR horses have glucose in the normal ranges, cinnamon sometimes lowers it too much. For that reason, the ECIR Group doesn't use it routinely. If you have a horse that is a true diabetic - high glucose - then cinnamon may be helpful.