Blood work results and next step

mega

Now I finally received my blood work results for Aine. ACTH is 129 pg/ml, Insulin 60.74 uIU/ml, Glucose 101 mg/dL and Leptin 11.15 ng/ml . G/I ratio is 1.66 . Blood was taken on 12/11 at 8:30 am, 1 h after morning feeding (still emergency diet).
My conclusion would be that Aine is highly Insulin resistant, possibly due to uncontrolled ACTH. Next step would be to increase the Pergolide (currently 1 mg/d) to maybe 1.5 mg/d and retest in 1 or 2 months. Is that correct? I will talk to my vet tomorrow, he is off today.
--
Mega
Maryland

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Sounds good to me. One month is long enough to wait. However, the blood was pulled at a time that likely gave you the highest insulin spike of the day. Unless there is constant access to hay at night, wait at least 4 hours after the first meal of the day.

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

mega

Thank you very much, Dr. Kellon. Next test we will do maybe later in the day.
--
Mega
Maryland
November 2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Mega%20and%20Aine

Sherry Morse

Hi Mega,

If Aine was mine I'd be cutting out the Legends Carb Care as it's really not suitable for an IR horse. You may want to consider reaching out to one of the ECIR balancers (the list is available here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing) to help tighten up her diet even more.

mega

Hi Sherry, thank you for your comment. Aine was never on Legend's Carb Care, this was/is my other PPID horse. I am in the process of switching him. Aine is still more or less on emergency diet (however it is the Timothy balancer hay cubes she is getting instead of the beet pulp since she does not like the beet pulp any more and I need to get the increased Prascend, Magnesium, Vit E etc. into her). Thank you for your concern however.
--
Mega
Maryland
November 2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Mega%20and%20Aine

Sherry Morse

Hi Mega,

In that case could you please update your case history so we can have an accurate view of what she's been eating and in what amounts.