cbd for pain, arthritis etc??

LJ Friedman

its the wild wild west fir cbd products

can any cbd product have a similar effect to replace prevacox for our ppid horses
anyone using a cbd to good effect?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Joy V

I am.  There is a thread in the housekeeping section that I replied to.

--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

Lorna Cane

Thanks, Joy!

For those who haven't found one of our sister groups yet, go here.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/Horsekeeping

You have to join, but  that's dead easy.
--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

LJ, CBD has potential to do just that. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC16904/
The problem is a complete lack of good scientific research of the effects on people, much less horses.  I heard UCDavis was conducting a study, but I haven't seen anything. The vast majority of reports are anecdotal, some very positive.

There are body-wide cannabinoid receptors.It's one thing to experiment on oneself, since a human can express how CBD makes her feel apart from anti-inflammatory effects. I'm not saying CBD is ineffective because I know better based on anecdotal evidence. I've had a medical cannabis license for several years and used homegrown, organically produced CBD to good effect for anti-inflammatory relief of arthritis. Through potency testing, I  know approximate potency and dosage. But there are reports of a host of problems, including tolerance, headache and worsening vertigo. Moreover, some THC seems essential for optimal pain relief. THC in animals is a complete unknown except for cases of accidental ingestion and overdose.

We know NOTHING about the effective dose in a horse. We don't know if horses also build tolerance, which would make CBD use a waste of money. We don't know about side effects. In many jurisdictions, we know nothing about pesticide contamination of commercially available products.

--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

I think this is a link to the product Joy is using.  Interestingly, LJ, it is based in San Diego but can’t be shipped to California.  As is typical of many CBD products, there does not appear to be a listing of how much CBD it contains.  It is shipped to the US from Denmark.  The locally grown VT CBD tells you exactly how much CBD each capsule contains.  And there’s a company in Maine which has been doing research with Cornell on CBD in dogs. They sell products for dogs and cats but not people or horses.  I have given dogs cannabinoids successfully for anxiety and cancer associated pain.  I know there are vets who prescribe Marinol, a synthetic THC, for dogs.  Maybe horses will be next?  I always imagine that horses nibbled as needed on scruffy cannabis plants until we did our best to eradicate them (the plants, not the horses).  The mind altering quality of THC is brought about by heating and thus would not present a problem for the animal.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

I meant to add in response to Cass’s post that pesticide contamination is a very real issue.  Hemp is used in soil remediation projects because it has very deep roots and it seems to have an affinity for contaminants.  There’s been talk of using it to clean up industrial waste sites.  My question being, what do you then do with the contaminated hemp?  So, not only do you want to know what was sprayed onto the plant, you want to know as much as possible about the soil it was grown in.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

As with any supplement- do your research.  I lean towards the more scientific companies (do research and committed to safety) that are dedicated to quality and purity of the product.
If you’re not familiar with all the jargon and issues- some questions you need to ask:

1.  Do they have 3rd party testing? with exact cannibinol and terpene values?
2. . Do they check for pesticides, molds, bacteria, residual solvents, or heavy metals?
3.   Does the company test each batch for cannabinoid potency in their own lab?
4.  Do they have control of the product from seed to oil?
5.  Is the oil full spectrum? (Yes is the right answer)

This is a link to information on dosages that you could check out- anecdotal, but thousands of cases- https://www.innovetpet.com/pages/cbd-dosing-calculator

 Dr. S. McGrath at Colorado State University is doing a study on canine epilepsy and CDB.

Adriane
Deer Park WA
NRC 2003

Joy V

They ship to California.  I'm in Northern California.

--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019