Topics

Sweet P meds second request

KATHIE DORVAL <bokayarabians@...>

I am wanting to know why Sweet P is on Invokana to lower insulin when his is not high, but his glucose was very high. I read here that Invokana is for lowering insulin, but does it also lower glucose? If it does lower both, why would you want to lower his insulin? Doesn't he need some to process the glucose?
--
Kathie with Libby and Sweet P
Cobble Hill, BC, Canada

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Invokana lowers glucose by causing it to be excreted in the urine. The lower glucose burden then eases the demand for insulin. Is that 2017 insulin the only one you have?  How is he doing?

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

Lorna Cane

Hi Kathy,

Do you have current insulin numbers?
All I see in CH is from December, 2017....idexx  35.7 ulU/ml , Range 4.5-20

You say his insulin is not high, so I'm assuming you just haven't recorded more recent numbers?
Thanks.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

Lorna Cane

Sorry.
Kathie.
--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

KATHIE DORVAL <bokayarabians@...>

-- I actually just found more blood work I hadn't posted in his CH. I'll try to get it done. In Feb 2019 glucose was 14.4  March 2019 it was 15.8  March 27 2019 it was 7.2   Nov.2018 insulin was 42.8. He is still thin, but has a good appitite and eats his hay well. Is not so keen on his bucket food, but usually almost finishes it. He doesn't have much energy and is not good to ride anymore. He bucks and bolts with the kids now.
Kathie with Libby and Sweet P
Cobble Hill, BC, Canada
Aug 2018
Case Histories
Target Photos
Sweet P Photos
Addy Photos
Cherokee Photos

KATHIE DORVAL <bokayarabians@...>

Nov of 2018 his insulin was 42.8 reference range 28-390, so I guess vet just kept a check on the glucose from there on because the insulin was not high. I can't afford to have more blood tested as I have 4 horses who are needing it.
--
Kathie with Libby and Sweet P
Cobble Hill, BC, Canada
Aug 2018
Case Histories
Target Photos
Sweet P Photos
Addy Photos
Cherokee Photos

Kathie,
Have you had his ACTH tested this winter? If he is thin and low energy I would think it wise to have his ACTH tested.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Have patience, please.  I helped Kathie muddle through getting case histories uploaded and I apparently did more than my share of the muddling.  We are working on straightening things up.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo