Topics

Test results after Metformin

Cindy Giovanetti

Oden's bloodwork looks better (but still bad) after being on a half dose of Metformin for about three weeks.  (His case history is up to date.)

He nearly colicked after his first dose of Metformin, so after that, I started with one pill a day and increased by one pill a day until we got up to a half a dose, which is 16 pills, split into two feedings.  Once we got up to the half dose, it was about three weeks before the vet came out to draw blood.

Since I started the program, his Insulin as fluctuated from 60 to 196 ulU/mL.  It is now at 118.

Since I started the program, his glucose has dropped from 120 to 90 mg/dL.

ACTH is normal, thank God.  Leptin is varied from 17-28 ng/mL.  It is now at 23, which is high.

Here's my question:  I kind of want to stay at this half dose.  I'm putting in a track, and I anticipate his walking will increase significantly in the next few months.

Is there any hope that the anticipated increased exercise will make a significant difference?  Or should I go ahead and get him on the full dose of Metformin as soon as possible?

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19

If your track is still 250 feet they have to go over it 20 times to cover just 1 mile. No guarantee he will move around enough to influence insulin.  His insulin is still in the red danger zone for laminitis. Your choice.

Is he still that fat? How are you controlling how much he eats?

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

Cindy Giovanetti

Yes, I am controlling the amount that they eat. They are getting 1.5% of their ideal body weight in Triple Crown balance cubes, split into seven meals a day.  (“They” includes my fat miniature donkey). They have been at this rate for perhaps four months.

They absolutely will walk more when the track is open because I’m going to put feeders at the far corners.  Will they walk 20 miles? No I’m sure they won’t. But they will hunt for food.

I’ll put some current pictures in his photo file. His girth measurement is down from 85 inches to 80.5 inches in not quite a year.

Cindy

_._,_._,_

Joanne Jordan

Hi Cindy,

Hope you get lots of movement on your track. We've had one up for 5 years now, around 4 acres, up and down hills, with water on one end and every conceivable hay set up and still they gobble their allotted hay, then stand close to the hay barn the rest  the time. I'd not keep them any other way but at least in our experience, our 2 obese-prone IR geldings do not move nearly as much as I was led to believe.
--
Joanne Jordan in Olympia, WA 2019
Gusto case history: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Joanne%20and%20Gusto

Cindy Giovanetti

I’m confident I can get mine moving with timed feeders (very small, frequent meals) in the four corners.

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19
https://www.facebook.com/LifeWithOden/
History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cindy%20and%20Oden
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=91125

Cindy Giovanetti

I have uploaded new pictures of Oden. Would love feedback on his body score.

Cindy

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19
https://www.facebook.com/LifeWithOden/
History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cindy%20and%20Oden
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=91125

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 20#s of Balance cubes equals more than 20#s of hay, doesn't it??

--
Ellen
Pal & Savvy

Sherry Morse

Hi Ellen,

As per this message from Aurelio (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/215764) 3 pounds of cubes is equal to 4 pounds of hay so yes, if you are using 20lbs. of cubes it's more than 20lbs of hay.

celestinefarm

Sherry, groups i.o. is acting up for me this morning, so I can't read Aurelio's message. The reason 3 lbs of cubes equals 4 pounds of hay is because the cubes include beet pulp , which increases the caloric count?
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Cindy Giovanetti

Yes, Dr. K has said that. Apparently the balance cubes are more calorie dense than hay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 20#s of Balance cubes equals more than 20#s of hay, doesn't it??
_._,_._,_

celestinefarm

Thanks, Cindy, I just wanted to clarify because for those unfamiliar with Timothy Balance Cubes, they might not realize they contain beet pulp. Hay cubes are always marketed as to be fed equivalent to hay, and there might have been confusion.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Hi Dawn,

I have no idea about the beet pulp - this is the content of the message (and groups.io seems to be back to normal now):

   The ODTB cubes can be fed as part of the diet or even the sole diet. It replaces hay at about 3:4 ratio dry weight. Meaning, rule of thumb, 3 lbs of cubes replaces 4 lbs of hay.

On Monday, January 13, 2020, 10:57:15 AM EST, celestinefarm <celestinefarm@...> wrote:

Sherry, groups i.o. is acting up for me this morning, so I can't read Aurelio's message. The reason 3 lbs of cubes equals 4 pounds of hay is because the cubes include beet pulp , which increases the caloric count?
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Aurelio Henriques

Regarding cubes to hay equivalency, One lb of cubes are generally equivalent to about 1.25 lbs of hay. This is mostly due to the fact that
the cubes are drier than hay and that there is no wastage with cubes.
In addition, the Timothy Balance cubes do contain some beet pulp which ups the safe calories a little.
Still, I like to use the 1.25 rule of thumb as a starting point.

Aurelio
Ontario Dehy
Ontario Canada

Aurelio Henriques
Ontario Dehy Inc.
tel. 519-524-1063
On 01/13/2020 11:07 AM, celestinefarm wrote:

Thanks, Cindy, I just wanted to clarify because for those unfamiliar with Timothy Balance Cubes, they might not realize they contain beet pulp. Hay cubes are always marketed as to be fed equivalent to hay, and there might have been confusion.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Lorna Cane

Cindy, just for clarity, when you say in the CH that Oden gets 2.10 ounces of the cubes, you are actually meaning 2 pounds,10 ounces ?

I notice that appearing several times recently, wheras previously you did  write pounds and ounces, to describe amount.

Someone looking for recent details  would know that's not enough ( 2.10 ounces) ,but would have to sort through the rest of the CH to figure it out, or ask for clarification.
If you *could*  edit that when time allows,it would be helpful.

Well done providing as many details as you do !

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

Cindy Giovanetti

It is 2 lbs. 10 oz. I’ll clarify it next time I’m in there.  The total is around 18 pounds._._,_._,_