Topics

Chasteberry question

Thank you Dr Kellon...that is the only thing I could glean from everything I read. Having dealt with a Newfoundland with cushings and going round and round with vets who insisted she only needed her Rx med once every 24hrs only to find how quickly the half life was in the system and she needed it every 12hrs...every single day....this didn't make sense to me. I realize Chasteberry doesn't work the same but I gave it to her alongside her compounded med and never gave her a break. It just didn't make sense to me. But this is my longest living horse I have owned and he just started showing symptoms this past summer where I needed to body clip him so I hadn't planned on doing labs til spring when I get the vet out to test my IR mare.

--
Nancy and Akira
3/20/2018  Burkesville KY

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Akira

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I'd like to add the 3 weeks on, 1 week off was based on human reproductive cycles, not equine, so it never made sense.  Even in people there's really no basis for it.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

There is none. It is a carry-over recommendation from dosing in mares when used to help them with "mare issues".

In PPID, it is dosed daily with no breaks. Whether you stop it for the winter to allow a full coat to grow in or not (if it is working for your horse to help with shedding) is also an option.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Lorna Cane

Hi Nancy,

I've always used it every day , and haven't been aware of the break in dosing.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

I am curious to those that use chasteberry for cushing horses. What is the rationale for giving it 3 weeks on and 1 week off? I have been reading up on it for my suspected old STB gelding who is 29 and and his only symptom is the long thick coat with not shedding out. Is it better to give it everyday or do they need a break from it?