Grinding flax

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

A reminder for those grinding flax; you need to regularly clean your grinder. The oils from the seeds go rancid very quickly and can end up giving your flax and off taste. Use about 1/4 cup of uncooked regular rice. Grind to a powder, dump and then wipe the inside with a damp paper towel. Do this weekly.

Can we smell the rancidity? I can tell when stabilized flax smells like linseed oil. Triple Crown told me to toss it and sent me a coupon for a new bag.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Thanks for the cleaning info.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Joy V

Thank you, Dr. Kellon, very much for this info.  I was just thinking about the issue last night while I was grinding flax.  I will clean my grinder today.

--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

I can smell it when it goes rancid. I had some ground flax I purchased for the humans and the box was in the fridge..got shoved to the back and who knows how long it was in there...I gave it a whiff....and tossed it!

But I think my OCD will save me ..I hope...I grind about 2-3 days worth of flax and keep it in the fridge but I wash my grinder with soap and water as soon as I am done and let it dry out.

--
Nancy and Akira
3/20/2018  Burkesville KY

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Akira

Michele Einarson

I add 2T of iodized salt to the coffee grinder with the flax.  That seems to keep the grinder clean; no flax residue or smell.
--
Michele & Mosey IR, Feb 2019
Reno, NV, USA

Maxine McArthur

A teaspoon of mag oxide with the flax also keeps the grinder blades clean.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response