cabergoline. just planning. just in case

LJ Friedman

I recently posted that Cabergoline  was on back order and BET Dr. Douglas told me I might have to go back to pergolide. It seems that this is not going to be an issue at this time but it got me thinking. If for any reason I had to discontinue cabergoline , what would be my strategy for re-introducing pergolide?? Would I take into account that jesse was on 20 mg of compound pergolide?  start cp as most do?  (I might’ve asked a similar question in the past but can’t seem to find the results.) thanks 🙏

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

LJ,

That question is in uncharted territory.  If the cabergoline has been suppressing the growth better than the pergolide did you may need less, at least initially, when you restart. If not, you will need at least as much. As a guess, I would try 10 mg to start, retest in 3 weeks or if you see negative signs - whichever comes first - and take it from there.

There is a lot of bad information on the net about alternative IM injection sites. This one is good: http://www.mpequine.com/education/how-to/give-im-injections.aspx

NinaJW

-- I’m new here. Can’t seem to get my horse case history done right. But to your subject: what is cabergoline as opposed to Pergolide? Is it a different option to treat Cushing? BTW: my horse had elevated ACTH(59) normal cortisol and glucose. BUT it was a non fasting one time blood draw. I’m not sure that’s the most accurate test.
So, any new info would be awesome. He’s my beloved 22 yr old QH gelding. :/

Nina  KY 2020

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

 Cabergoline is an injectible long lasting alternative.

 Nonfasting one time is all you need if it gave you a positive test. However, you also need a nonfasting (hay only) insulin.

NinaJW

--Thank you! It was a grass hay only non fasting test. So, you find that to be as accurate as the more complicated 2 day tests? I have had to take him off Pergolide for a week to get water back in him as he quit drinking as well as going off hay/feed. I started him back on a half dose yesterday. Fingers crossed

Nina  KY 2020

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

For PPID, the only 2 day was the overnight dexamethasone suppression which no one uses anymore. If your baseline ACTH nonfasting is abnormal you don't have to do anything else.

For insulin, if nonfasting and you use the upper limits from the Va Polytechnic study and proxies, that's all you need IMO.