New blood work

Joy V

Just spoke to my vet and got Willie's most recent blood work results.  I'm ambivalent about his results.  His ACTH is controlled (YES!!) his IR is uncompensated (UGH).  (CF is updated.)  I did confirm unofficially that his tests were done at Loomis.  Someone on here (can't remember who) told me that they must have been done @ Davis, but my results say "in-house" on them now.

I know it's mostly because of the new grass growing in his paddock.  He keeps it looking like a putting green (more sparse than that, but he's cutting it short.  He's a pro at grazing, doesn't pull up the roots ever unfortunately).  It is supposed to be sunny & clear here for a few weeks.  I plan to try & find industrial vinegar and a sprayer so I can kill all the grass.  I'm sad that he's still having issues despite trying so hard to help him.  The biggest issue is $$$$.  I need to buy him hay that's tested, so that means going to a source outside the barn where he is boarded.  I also won't get any credit on my board for buying my own hay.  I'm up to 3 jobs now, just trying to get him taken care of.  And now it is hard to just go out and buy the vinegar.  Just frustrated and feeling somewhat defeated - feels like swimming hard against a strong tide.  Poor guy.  He deserves better.

His feet look so much better though.  Unfortunately I never got befores, but I will try & get pictures when my hoof care professional comes tomorrow to trim him.  She has made a world of difference.  She's on here as a member, I'll have to ask her if I can recommend her.  She rocks.

Anyway, thanks for "listening"....

--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

Lorna Cane

Hi Joy,

You might want to consider putting materials of some sort down in his paddock,if it is in any way possible.

Old carpet stays in place better than big pieces of cardboard,but rocks can hold carcboard in place.Old stall mats......if you don't have to buy them. Old tarps?

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Joy, you could try salting the grass.  I find its much cheaper than vinegar to use the big bags of salt that people sprinkle on their walkways.  But it will need a bit of rain or a sprinkler to dissolve and soak into the soil before it kills the grass.   Last year I had to put salt down 2x to keep the grass killed.  Any chance the barn staff/owner could put a closed muzzle on him during the day when he is done his hay?  Then he wouldn't be able to eat the grass coming up.  Might as well get some extra service if you're paying for hay you can't feed?

Have you tested the barn hay?  I noticed you feed soaked barn hay at night.  Can you pre-soak the next day's hay for them at the same time and leave it sitting on a pallet in a couple nets for both feedings?

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Joy V

Hi Kirsten,

Yes, I tried salt, and then I watered.  But it didn't kill the grass.

The barn hay is always changing, so it's not really a help to get it tested because it will change before I even get the test back most likely.  The barn owner buys very nice (bad for my horse) hay.  I can't soak the barn hay because I don't have the time it would take to do it unfortunately (it would have to be soaked at the barn for both feedings & I'm working 3 jobs so logistically I can't make it work - I did try).  My goal is to buy the tested hay my hoof care practitioner has told me about and to feed my horse on my own and not use any of the barn hay.  My *ultimate* goal is to free feed him the tested hay in a slow feeder.  It always comes down to $$ though.  :(

I'm going to focus on killing the grass.  I liked Lorna's idea of covering with something.

Thank you so much for the suggestions Lorna & Kirsten both.  I appreciate it.
--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

Joy V

Kirsten, I missed something you said.  I feed soaked hay, that I buy & have at home, in the evenings for him to eat at night.

--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

Kirsten Rasmussen

It's hard when money is limited, I totally understand.  :)  You just do your best, even if it's not perfect.

If there are any gravel crushing operations near you they might have worn out rubber conveyor belts that they will give away.  These can be anywhere from 2' to 6' wide and 1/2" to 1" thick.  They are awesome for laying down...nothing will budge them or grow through them!  We were able to get some of these where I live for free and although I use it as mats in my pole barn, it would also make good paddock surfacing, although they can be slippery for horses and humans when wet.  They are heavy to move and put in place, too.  Just another option for you to consider.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Joy V

Thank you again Kirsten, I really really appreciate your encouragement, as well as the suggestions.  I will keep trying to kill that grass and get the tested hay asap.

--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019