Stabul 1 availability

ferne fedeli

If you use auto-ship at Chewy, you get a 5% discount so that helps a bit.  I think before this latest lower price, I was paying $33 something.  For a period at TSC here, we were getting it really cheap--like $19.99 a bag & then they said they weren't going to carry it any more.

--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

No. California
Case History

Irene Collins-Fotino

Hi all,

Not sure what happened to the email I just sent, so am sending it again. Anyway, the issue
with ordering from Chewy is the shipping cost. Unless Stabul 1 is on "special", the cost with shipment
is $39.99. The cost from TSC is $21.99. If the feed is on special at Chewy, the cost is $29.99
which is doable.
I have not spoken with Randy yet; that is on the schedule for Wednesday, and I am also going
to call some feed stores to ask about carrying Stabul 1.

Thanks all,

Irene & Logan
NRC 2009
Hudson, NH

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Irene%20&%20Logan

celestinefarm

Kim,
The cost of Stabul 1 on Chewy normally is $40 for a fifty pound bag. Shipping is free. Right now according to another poster, they have it on special at $29,99.

Randy's cost to ship a #20 pound bag directly from Anderson Feeds is $28.75.(shipping is included or "free). That makes purchasing from him directly $1.44 per pound, That adds up to $71.87 for #50.

I believe Randy started out offering #20 boxes to allow people to try Stabul 1 before committing to buying a quantity to get TSC to order it. It's a good idea as a sample , but it's not at all cost effective compared to Chewy.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Kim Rice

Laura,
I get 20 # boxes sent to me and I usually get two at a time but he will send more if you want.
--
Kim R, Lafayette, CA  2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Shomee

I’ve been through all the same with Randy and TSC and Stabul 1 losing its ‘palatability’ factor.  This was years ago and I switched to a different low carb pellet for a few years.  Once Stabul 1 became available through Chewy, I started using it again.  I just ordered 4 bags from Chewy recently, not even considering it might have been on their shelf for too long.  I sure hope that’s not the case!

I’m not understanding your reason for not wanting to work with Chewy.  Is it the cost?  My horses seem to be totally addicted to ODTBC now.  I hope that continues as I just purchased a pallet of it from my feed supplier.  Nicole Sicely of Vermont Blend spent considerable effort trying to set up a Vermont source for Stabul 1.  This was after I’d already given up on using the product so I’m not sure where that stands.  You might check with her as she was recommending it to her clients.  I even had some interest in working as it’s supplier but I did not want to interfere with Nicole’s business dealings.

--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Irene Collins-Fotino

Thank you all for this information. I will call Randy on Monday.
Dawn - I understand the shipping, distribution etc., costs, but interestingly enough Kim is able to get
feed shipped directly to her.
I did speak to Randy earlier this year and he told me that for him to ship to me would be cost
prohibitive for me. If I can't get Stabul at a decent cost, I will have to switch Logan to another
feed - not something I want to do and I'm afraid that might not be good for him.

I'll let you all know how my conversation goes with Randy.

Thanks all!

--

Irene & Logan
NRC 2009
Hudson, NH

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Irene%20&%20Logan

gypsylassie

Kim, what size bag do you get shipped directly from Randy?
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

On Apr 17, 2020, at 6:31 PM, Kim Rice <kimberztaz@...> wrote:

Randy at Anderson Feed ships directly to me; call him on Monday.
--
Kim R, Lafayette, CA  2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Shomee

Kim Rice

Randy at Anderson Feed ships directly to me; call him on Monday.
--
Kim R, Lafayette, CA  2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Shomee

gypsylassie

Sadly, I believe the difficulties with TSC are experienced by buyers and suppliers alike.
There have always been shipping charges figured in by TSC for the Midwest and the West, now they are also in the East.
As Dawn said, Anderson Feeds is a small company run by family members and there just isn't a substantial marketing budget.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Lavinia Fiscaletti

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 11:19 AM, celestinefarm wrote:
Irene, have you spoken directly with Randy regarding shipping charges to TSC in NH? The reason I ask is because my extensive experience with store managers at several TSC is that they don't know what they are talking about. TSC, IMO, has a real problem with supply chain , ordering, and communication. In other words, I wouldn't believe what they are telling you , and it's not because they are deliberately lying, but because their entire communication structure between stores and warehouses is really poor.
Totally agree with Dawn on this as I have had the same experiences with TSC here in RI. Although you may find an employee who is knowledgeable, most are not and it takes a fair amount of work on your part to accomplish anything. This goes for any product that they do not have on their shelf on the day you happen to want to purchase it.

TSC has recently begun to advertise that they are carrying Triple Crown products. I have found the same issues with getting any of the Triple Crown products into the store.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

celestinefarm

Irene, have you spoken directly with Randy regarding shipping charges to TSC in NH? The reason I ask is because my extensive experience with store managers at several TSC is that they don't know what they are talking about. TSC, IMO, has a real problem with supply chain , ordering, and communication. In other words, I wouldn't believe what they are telling you , and it's not because they are deliberately lying, but because their entire communication structure between stores and warehouses is really poor.
Again, without talking to Randy to confirm, so I'm not certain, but I can't imagine Anderson feeds can ship west of the Mississippi at no charge. His distribution of Stabul 1 is into the TSC system, he does not have a distribution system himself.  As I mentioned in an earlier post on this subject, shipping costs are major drivers of costs on feed, along with distributors.  A great example is the first time I used soy hull pellets for a carrier.  I asked my local feed store if they could order in a bag. They had to do some sleuthing , but finally found that they could order them through Sysco. So when I got the bag, it was $17. Curious to know where it was from, the tag on the bag said Republic Mills in Okalona, Ohio. That mill is located about 90 miles from me. They have a website and sell retail out the mill itself.  Price to buy soy hull pellets directly from them , with me driving the three hour round trip? $7 a bag.  The charges between the mill and my feed store are shipping costs, distributor costs and mark up at the feed store. Everyone along the way has to make something akin to a profit.
I met Randy at the Ohio horse Expo a couple of years ago , as he was manning his Stabul 1 booth with samples, flyers, etc.  They are a small family run operation whose business primarily is formulating and selling feeds to zoos. I asked him then the same questions you are asking about marketing, etc. and he said that as a small business, he is doing the best he can to market and works through social media and word of mouth to get demand for his product.  I personally think the Chewy system was a great score for him, as people can buy through them, but yes you are going to pay all the distribution and profit charges along the way.

Don't forget that feed expires. Chewy may be sitting on a quantity of Stabul and needs to move it.  It's another reason that feed stores, including TSC do not want to order quantities of feed ( which brings the price down, but also is at risk of not selling out and having to be thrown away) . Selling it at cost or at a loss is sometimes better than chucking it in the trash but they can't repeatedly do that.

I subscribed to Hearty Pet for Cavalor FiberForce, for five bags a month. That's my break even point on gasoline to go three hours away and pick it up at the closest feed store. This month, they sent me one bag, and their website says they are sold out. I called them and they ended up drop shipping four bags directly from Cavalor's mill in GA and it arrived yesterday.  In a giant FedEx semi truck that had to park out on the road. When I took my pick up out to back up to him and get my feed, the driver shook his head and said, this wasn't too cost effective.  I told him that I wasn't paying for it, Hearty Pet was but I agreed, the costs had to be crazy.  He had one other little box in the trailer.  My husband and I estimated that Hearty Pet probably spent $100 to $200 having 160 lbs of feed shipped in two days to me. I really appreciate them doing that, but that is why no feed seller can ship a few bags here and there and why Randy said shipping directly to you was prohibitive.

IMO, hay and carrier/feed, supplements are the most critical thing to buy in addition to pergolide/meds for our PPID/IR horses and I will cut back on other things to afford getting them those items that are most appropriate.  I wish it wasn't that way, and I wish that feed costs were not what they are. Beet pulp used to be $6 a bag, now it's $14+. Never would I have imagined quality equine feed would cost $20-30 a bag, but it does. Hay cubes used to be $7-8 , now they are in the $20s. It is what it is....

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Irene Collins-Fotino

Hi all,

I have been able to receive some more Stabul 1 through Tractor Supply, but apparently Anderson Feed is
now charging an additional $20.00 / bag for shipping - which essentially doubles the cost of a 50 lb bag.
Randy has told the District Manager of the Pelham, NH store that west of the Mississippi, Anderson Feed
does not charge shipping, but East of the Mississippi there is not enough demand to justify the cost.

So I am wondering if it is possible for us to somehow get the word out that Stabul has become an integral
part of our horses diet, especially since there is very little safe feed that they can eat that is like a grain.
How can we market Stabul 1 to our barns, colleagues, etc., so that they realize the value of Stabul 1 and
to the extent that they will want to feed it to their horses?

I'm wondering if Anderson Feed has a marketing department and if so, why would they not have an
active marketing campaign for this food. If they do, would it be possible to work with them?
Is it possible to get Randy involved? So many questions.

Chewy is now offering a deep discount - $29.99 vs. their usual price of $40.00 per bag, but that it probaby
a result of the COVID-19 "stimulus" and will probably go up in price once the economy begins to gear up.

Ideas anyone?