Change in Crest after starting TC Timothy balance cubes

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Hi Dr Kellon & all, I need to do my case history work and I have been a member of this group since Nov 2018. I have a 21 year old Arab Gelding who has been diagnosed IR since 2014, with his first bout of laminitis Nov 2018 and second June 2019, he is recovering nicely after a long but of abcess and sloughing most of the medial side of his left front.. I have basically been following the emergency diet with supplementation for a while now. I am really dialing in Vinnie"s diet and just needed a small chaser for his supplements and was using beet pulp but he seemed to like a tiny bit of something else.  I was using LMF low starch complete about 1/4 cup, but after reading tons of info on this site I decided to try the TC Timothy Balance Cubes instead. I noticed a change in crest after adding these cubes in and wondered if anyone else had experienced the same.
Thanks in advance,
--
Nancy and Vinnie
Oakley, Ca

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Nancy,

You can see a change in the crest after any diet adjustment that lowers S/S by substituting a safer food, like the cubes.

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Thank you Dr Kellon, I meant to note it got bigger. Is that possibly an indication IR is not managed?
--
Nancy and Vinnie
Oakley, Ca

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Yes. Crest changes work both ways.

Kirsten Rasmussen

Nancy, that is a warning sign that insulin is riding so you could experiment by stopping and starting the balance cubes to see if that is really what has changed Vinnie's crest.  Also consider other factors that could also be occuring now, such as increased nibbles of grass or other plants poking up in the paddock.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Thanks! I will try that. He has no access to anything but what I feed him and that was the only thing that changed. So I will definitely stop and see if it changes back.

Thank you everyone:)
Cheers and stay well!
--
Nancy and Vinnie
Oakley, Ca

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

The one other thing I just remembered is that I ran out of my Glycocemic Eq pellets and started the Glycocemic powder formula instead.  I will order the pellets again to see if that also makes a difference.  The inactive ingredients are slightly different so perhaps the combination of the change triggered a change in insulin response.  He is a highly sensitive fellow.

Thx again.
--
Nancy and Vinnie
Oakley, Ca

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The most likely cause in situations like this is variation between bales of hay.

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

I did just open a new bale too. Wow! Should I add anything like a little more Alcar in times like this?
--
Nancy and Vinnie
Oakley, Ca

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

If you are not soaking, do that!

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

I just got my test back it is really low in esc +starch.  7.4 esc .5 starch.

Let me try and get some stuff uploaded so that you all have a better picture.
--
Nancy and Vinnie
Oakley, Ca

Kirsten Rasmussen

Thanks Nancy, we'd love to see a Case History up to refer to as well.
:)

There can definitely be variation between bales so your hay test may not be representative of the new bale if more than 1 bale was tested.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

And in reading the other post about psyllium. I have been doing that too. I usually give 2oz of psyllium daily and then do a monthly clear out but have been adding the daily to the overall supplement bucket.. knowledge is power!! I love this group so much!
--
Nancy and Vinnie
Oakley, Ca

Tucker

Alcar was mentioned...could someone please inform what that is?
--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Alcar = Acetyl L-Carnitine

More info in the Files:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/filessearch?q=alcar

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Just a quick update, after going back to LMF low starch complete and removing the Timothy Cubes now for 2 days, I am seeing his crest reduce. So I will keep him on the LMF since it is still an approved feed.

I am working in the case study etc. I have lots of images. He has been through a lot and still recovering. I appreciate all your stories and wealth of information. A much needed place to find ongoing support!

Cheers!
--
Nancy and Vinnie
Oakley, Ca

Lorna Cane

Hi Nancy,

Did you begin soaking the hay when Dr. Kellon suggested it , on April 21 ?

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Lorna, HI:) the only thing I changed was removing the TC Timothy Cubes and adding back the LMF low starch complete.  My hay is tested at 7.4 ESC and .5 starch and has been really consistent so I am hoping that I don't have to soak as well.

Thanks Nancy
--
Nancy and Vinnie
Oakley, Ca

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

I finally have my case history, lets see if I can get the link to work.  Working on photo folder next.

Nancy and Vinnie
Oakley, Ca
Joined Nov 2018

Lorna Cane

Good, Nancy !

Now just go back to Subscription,where you made your automatic signature, and paste it to your signature, making sure it's live (blue), and......remembering to hit SAVE.
Do the same thing with your photo album link,when it is ready.
And Bob's your uncle !!!

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002