Topics

Stabul one / iron

Bobbie Day

I was always under the impression that Stabul one was one of the few feeds without added iron but when I looked in the files it actually has 427 ppm ?
ive never really looked at bagged feeds before but is it just that it’s low carb low sugar that makes it so well tolerated? Ive been feeding it as a carrier but I really don’t want more iron?
Desi loves it

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Bobbie,
We aim for feeds with no added iron. Every feed based on plant ingredients contains iron. Look at the Equi-Analytical common feed profiles. Some common feed ingredients have iron in that range, and higher. Look at alfalfa and beet pulp, for example. https://equi-analytical.com/common-feed-profiles/

Most of us feed only small amounts of Stabul1. I feed 180 grams/day, which adds 75 mg iron, a fraction of the daily total. If you read more of the analyses of Stabul1, you'll find a range of iron results, some higher, some lower. It is a valuable taste tempter. If your horse doesn't need tempting, maybe you can eliminate it.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Nancy C

In addition to Cass's info, the iron is balanced with he copper and zinc. Balance is needed to counteract any excess iron.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 23 - 25, Harrisburg, PA