new labs and hay; questions; please dr. kellon

Daisy Shepherd

dr. kellon if possible, these labs are my spring check up;  my horse has been usual diet and turn out but with no exercise since 3/15/2020; can the insulin/glucose  be uncompensated  just from that; end of this next week should be back to work;  also am looking to change place of board to new hay.  in my case history, labs are posted except  vit e and leptin are pending, also 2 hay analysis  labeled mary duke, which is better to use for my ir horse  and both are < than 10% sugar/starch so do i need to soak.   after moving and back to work, when should i check insulin and glucose again, also should i change his thyro l , he still gets 2 scoops.  move is planned for 4/30/2020.  thank you so very much, daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

No exercise probably does have a lot to do with the insulin and glucose bump up. Judging by the  analysis there is a lot of alfalfa in that hay. I wouldn't feed either one but if you have no choice it doesn't matter which.  Soaking never hurts. Yes, back down on the thyroid supplement - 1.5 scoops.  If you want to taper off, go  very slowly.

Daisy Shepherd

-- thank you dr. kellon,  i thought the no exercise was part of it.  after he is back in work,  how soon can i do repeat glucose and insulin  to follow how he is doing,
--
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I'd give it a month, and  make sure you don't exercise him on testing day until after blood is pulled.

Daisy Shepherd

-- thank you so much, daisy and tiko
--
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Daisy Shepherd

-- dr kellon,  leptin is 4.6; lowest ever; do you think that is a reflection of keeping weight down in spite of no exercise x6 weeks; vit e at 398.  thank you, daisy and tiko
--
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Probably. Leptin seems to be most reliable as an indicator of weight.