Advise on giving Metformin

Flame is on his second day of Metformin. Do any of you have any advice for giving it? Yesterday morning I use a hammer and newspaper to crush the pills & syringed them into Flame- I didn’t do a very good job & chunks got stuck in the syringe. Last night I put the pills and some water in a syringe to dissolve for several hours so the barn owner could give it at night. She was able to give most of the med but about 2ish pills stuck together, wouldn’t dissolve and stuck to the side of the syringe. Do you guys have any tips or tricks for me? Thanks in advance!
--
Beth & Flame

NV Oct 2013

Flame Case History

Flame Pictures

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Get a table top  coffee grinder (about $20) to pulverize the pills to a  fine powder in a second or two , e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-Electric-Grinder-Black/dp/B00005OTXM/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=coffee+grinder&qid=1587935261&sr=8-11

LJ Friedman

-- Oh, the good all days of grinding Metformin . I know Metformin  is the logical step for highinsulin, my question is does it ever return insulin to normal and keep it that way? I thought it’s results were just temporary??

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

claire@...

Hi Beth, I found popping the pills directly into a syringe and just covering with water, then shaking vigorously every once in a while, dissolved them in about 3 hours. Made a paste that syringed into her mouth and  stuck well.
Best wishes, Claire

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/248690?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,metformin+%2B+eleanor,20,2,0,72950870

I have to retract the statement about no Invokana failures. Working with a horse now that had a dramatic improvement in hoof comfort but first retest of insulin and glucose not good.  Staying the course for another month to see what happens.

It's typically very difficult to get EMS horses all the way back to normal  (12 uIU or less on a low S+S diet) without exercise. The goal is to get them out of the danger zone for active laminitis pain which usually means in the 20s, maybe low 30s.

Metformin also has activity against neuropathic pain, which is an issue in some chronic cases. There are horses that have lost the drop in insulin but still were getting pain relief from metformin.

Michele Einarson

I've been grinding the metformin in a coffee grinder, then add 2T or so of whole flax seeds and 1-2T salt and grind again.  The flax captures the dust and the salt cleans the grinder.  Then I mix it with soaked Timothy Balance Cubes.  I started with less Metformin then titrated up to the full dose in a couple days and my gelding eats it fine.

--
Michele & Mosey IR, Feb 2019
Reno, NV, USA

The flax is OK but I would save the salt cleaning step for after you decant the mixture. Don't know for sure but it could chemically react with the drug.

Sorry - I misread your initial post. I see you are grinding them separately.

Thank you everyone for the advise. Adding a little flax is a great idea since it creates so much dust!
--
Beth & Flame

NV Oct 2013

Flame Case History