Red Light Therapy

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Hi Dr Kellon and all,

I have been using red light theraoy on Vinnie's feet and pastern and I know it seems to make him feel good, but I am curious if there is any documented studies with it actually helping laminitis recovery, ringbone or bone demineralization?

Thanks Nancy
--
Nancy and Vinnie
Oakley, Ca

Non-laser, LED lights do not penetrate far enough to have biological effects on deeper tissues but may have activity at acupuncture points.

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Buzz

I came across this thread as I was wondering if Red Light Therapy would benefit Buzzy, once we get his insulin under control.  The trimmer thinks his vasculature has been compromised and therefore is not growing hoof. Is there any method of treatment that has been studied along this type of therapy applicable to mins?  I have a daughter who is a DPT and uses these types of therapies for patients. Thank you!!
--
Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy

Hi Marsha,

Hopefully you saw this message from Dr. Kellon regarding the use of Red light therapy: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/249627.  Have you added Jiaogulan in yet as that will increase circulation.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

 As mentioned before, he IS growing hoof, just not in a healthy direction.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Buzz

Yes Sherry thanks, I did see it.  I need to research where the points are located to apply the red light therapy.  Im thinking of trying it too. The massage therapist  is coming  Tues.  I need to talk with her too as I would be willing to do massage  to help improve his circulation to his feet If it would also help.  Of course, I know first thing is to get the insulin down!!!
--
Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy

Buzz

Nancy C

Hi Marsha

This is probably not what you want to hear, but I want to share that over 13 years, I tried everything I could to help Beau and foot pain.

What worked in the long haul was when the trigger for high insulin was removed and he had a correct physiological trim.

https://www.ecirhorse.org/realigning-trim.php

I know you have folks on the ground who have different opinions, so we don't need to go there again.  Just wanted you to know that I too drove myself nuts trying to find the miracle.

The miracle is to reduce the high insulin as best you can and a get a correct physiological trim.

I wish we had had Invokana for Beau
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

I just echo what Nancy and others are saying about insulin.  Vinnie has had this long run of ups and downs (2 yrs) all coming back to insulin spikes causing laminitis and sore feet. If I knew then what I know now even what I keep learning just weeks ago.

I tried earnestly with red light, mini pulse, acupuncture, Masterson method, and the only thing that works is getting the insulin down with meds and increasing the circulation using laminox and jherb.

The other therapies are helpful palliatively when insulin is under control, but the only thing that will get the feet feeling better is addressing the insulin.

--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Hi Marsha,

Just want to add one more comment here - if you LOOK at the photos you just added the other day, on the ones that the coronary band is clearly visible (https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/photo/258797/5?p=Taken,,,20,2,0,0 is one of the better ones) you can see new growth coming in from the coronary band down.  The key to getting his trim better is going to be finding someone willing to follow Lavinia's recommendations on getting that growth going in the right direction as it's coming down.

As a reminder - when you take pictures put a sock or nylon or even vet wrap over all those feathers so the entire foot up to the coronary band is clearly visible. That's much easier than trying to hold them up and take a picture at the same time.

caitlinocobb@...

Hi Marsha,
I'm a human and equine massage therapist.  Massage does not significantly improve circulation.  If your goal is to do that, a hand walk will do more than massage.  Massage is lovely for a lot of reasons, but circulation isn't one!
--
Caitlin Cobb
South Carolina

Buzz

Absolutely, we have to get insulin down and it is number 1 priority.Good news is we are drawing blood on Wed. From there we can hopefully move forward  to getting the metformin. In looking at the realigning trim link,  does the vasculature become less compromised once the alignment  has improved? I think that is where the trimmer is concerned for him. She thinks blood supply is compromised as she  is not seeing new growth. Also, im thinking winter has slowed the growth and perhaps therapy can be an assist for blood supply even with proper trim. This is such a complex issue for getting it under control. I 'm confident his diet it tight. Thank you Nancy!!
--
Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy

Nancy C

Hi Marsha

The blood supply in the foot is complicated, but the bottom line is that the sooner you get him on the right trim path less compromised it may ultimately be.

Please allow me to point out that even I can see new growth on the pics you just sent. Not sure why your trimmer does not.

There is work that can and should be done.

All the best for your blood draw.

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room

Bobbie Day

Marsha you could always do what we have discussed here before if she’s in doubt about new growth, paint a line on the coronary band with some fingernail polish, see if it moves down. That’s what I do when I’m convinced we’re not making headway, you’ll probably be surprised.

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC Plus March 2020