Zoetis Core EQ Innovator vaccine

celestinefarm

Has anyone on here had their PPID/IR horses vaccinated with Core EQ Innovator vaccine? The insert literature for it claims a 99,7% reaction free result with it's administration. It's one vaccine that covers EEE, WEE, Rabies, WNV, and Tetanus.
I have not vaccinated mine now for a few years and am considering consulting my vet , but would appreciate any input. I know we always recommend separating vaccines and only doing what is necessary, but we have had cases every year in Michigan of equine West Nile, and Rabies, and I don't want to put mine at unnecessary risk.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Cheryl Oickle

Absolutely no problem Jewel had a bit of localized swelling at injection site for a couple days, but other wise no problem. She’s anIR Cushings horse for those that don t know.
Jewel and Cheryl

Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018
Port Alberni BC Canada

rozaniloc@...

Hi Dawn - we vaccinated Sunday with that vaccine this spring.

Last year he only got the 3 way, because we were planning on splitting the vaccines & doing the WNV & rabies after a few weeks. He had a significant injection site swelling after the 3 way, which I iced & took 7 days or so to fully resolve, but that was all I noticed at the time.  However when my vet came to do the WNV & rabies last year, Sunday had increased digital pulses & she did not want to vaccinate him.  He had never had that sort of problem before so I was not checking & he was not lame. Lesson learned for me!  Since he had been vaccinated every year for many years past, my vet agreed with me to skip them last year. Then I doubled down my research online & found this group, which has saved Sunday from laminitis if not worse I am sure.  He has been doing well following ECIR protocol (lost weight & physical signs of site specific fat pads & crest reducing) - weight tape has his weight loss at about 150-175 lbs since last July.

Since the Zoetis Core EQ vaccine is used by CSU ambulatory as well as Littleton Large Animal (a really big equine practice south side of Denver) without issue all last year, my vet was most comfortable with it & it is her vaccine of choice this year. We really wanted to do the rabies vaccine, as we already have rabies cases  in wildlife in the area this year.  My vet felt this was the only safe vaccine with rabies for horses currently available. There is another livestock rabies which is labeled for horses, but she had heard of too many adverse events with that one. So we pretreated with Benadryl & Banamine & I did the 2 days of Benadryl post vaccination every 12 hrs & he did ok.  I do feel like he had a generalized inflammatory response though. No labs, but the fat pat in front of his tail has slightly enlarged.  And I did have to ice the injection site on his neck - but that was slight & gone within 24 hrs.

Just one experience - hope it helps.

Rozanne & Sunday
July 02 2019  Larimer County, Colorado
case history:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rozanne%20&%20Sunday  .

millionairess1989

Hi Dawn,

Mill, my 31 year old PPID & IR pacemaker dependent Arabian mare and Jack, my 21 year old IR TN Walker both received the vaccine with no problems along with floating. Mill's was without sedation and Jack's with.

I would have done it last year but didn't find out about the vaccine until after spring vaccinations were given.

Our Zoetis rep spoke at the vet clinic at which I work. She said that the rate of reactions was actually very small compared to some of the other vaccines but I forget the percent. Of course that doesn't help if it's your horse.
--
Jennifer & Mill & Jack
Middle TN  2010

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Dawn,

Whether to vaccinate, and for what, are decisions that need to be made based on discussion with your vet on the prevalence of the diseases in your area; on the severity of the disease in question; as well as the likelihood your horses will come into contact with the disease. I know you know this.

In my area, the Fort Dodge (now Zoetis) vaccines have always been the ones most prone to eliciting reactions. I don't know if the formulations have changed since the merger of the companies. You can use banamine/bute to help prevent or lessen any negative responses but that will also blunt the entire immune response to some degree, so needs to be considered in the overall pros and cons.

To me, the biggest issue is that a 5 way vaccine is still inoculating for 5 diseases at once. This means the immune system is being asked to simultaneously ramp up protection for five separate diseases. Does this impact the quality of the response? Will it tip a sensitive horse over the edge?

The biggest pro to me is convenience: the savings in time and farm call fees stemming from multiple vet visits to administer the vaccinations separately.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Debra Trujillo

A vet from Littleton Equine Medical in CO told me about a new vaccine (5 way) that includes Rabies along with the encephalitis/West Nile/Tetanus that is showing really good results in horses not having reactions to the shot.  One of my mares has had severe reactions to the single rabies shot usually given in the fall in my area, hence the discussion.  I don't know if it was by Zoetis or not, but just thought I'd comment as to the reason this vet recommended it for future spring shots in lieu of giving the single Rabies shot in the fall.
As an aside, my mare had a severe reaction to the Rabies shot last fall, even with Banamine given (she has reacted in prior years as well).  I found out much later the clinic used the cat/dog rabies vaccine instead of the equine vaccine because they could not get it.  From now on, I'm asking what they are using before they put it in my horses.  The bad thing about the rabies vaccine in CO is if your horse is not vaccinated and they get bit by a rabid critter, the state will require euthanasia of the horse.  Makes it a little hard to refuse giving the vaccine.

--
Debbie and Precious
June 2017, Parker CO

Deb Walker

Scotty has had this exact vaccine 2 or 3 years in a row. No reaction, no swelling, no symptoms. Each horse is an individual, but we have not had issues. My vet will be back in 3 weeks to do influenza and check his (almost nonexistent) teeth.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

millionairess1989

I contacted our Zoetis rep Lauren. This is what she wrote:

The reaction rate is 99.7% reaction FREE. In our field safety study we had 3 site reactions out of over 1,000 horses and the vaccine has been on the market over 1.5 years with over 300,000 doses sold. Since it has been on the market the adverse events have trended just like the safety study of less than 3%!

Hope this helps,

Jennifer & Mill & Jack
Middle TN  2010

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

celestinefarm

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will be discussing this further with my vet. Appreciate having some PPID/IR experience when I have this discussion.