Horse is being fed "treats" against my will

Joy V

Hi everyone.

I have a rather serious problem, and I need some help from you all.  There is a woman renting the apartment above the barn directly across from my horse's paddock.  She has been living there sporadically for the past 3 months.  She likes to come out with a grocery bag full of carrots and apples and throw them into all the paddocks.

I have signs all over my paddock that state do not feed this horse, he is insulin resistant and has Cushing's disease.  I spoke to her in person night before last and explained that it is critical she NOT FEED MY HORSE anything.  She swore up and down she never has and she is so glad I told her so she never will feed him anything.

As I was leaving the barn last night I saw her in the row between paddocks handing out treats again.  Her body language was extremely sneaky.  I yelled hello to her because she was right next to my horse's paddock, in hopes that she would not feed him.

I found a good sized chunk of carrot in Willie's paddock this morning when I went to clean, feed him his supplements etc.  He is extra lame this am and the front hooves are hot.  I am furious.

I plan to put up a game cam and call the police (non-emergency) to get a record this issue.  I also left a note for the owner of the property w/ the piece of carrot pinned to it and told him what has been happening.

Willie has been laminitic often and severely laminitic twice in the past three months.  I know it's because of her.  I am in tears this morning and I just really want to scream at her.

Help?  What more can I do?  I'm so afraid I will have to put him down because of her idiocy.

--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

Lorna Cane

Hi Joy,

This is so infuriating.

Would it make more of an impression on everyone if you tell them he's like a diabetic child (thanks Dr. K ) ? Diabetic!
If they don't get diabetic, just say he has a sugar allergy.

And forward vet bills to her,along with videos of an ouchy Willie.
Ok, ok, going to my room now..

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario
2002

Joy V

When I spoke to her on the 11th, I told her it's like diabetes and it could kill him.  She's a loose cannon there I swear.    Thank you though, for the suggestion.

--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

Bobbie Day

Oh my gosh, how awful for you both!
I remember as a child we rented a pasture just up the street from our house and there was a woman that lived behind that fed them her grass clippings, they had no health issues but even then I was so mad because I knew it could have serious repercussions.
People just seem to think that we’re overacting.
We have a little girl that comes and treats the horses and even she knows that Desi can’t have anything but her “approved” cookies.
I’m sorry your Willy is paying the price.

--
Bobbie and Desi
Utah, Nov 2018

Amy

I would be livid.
Maybe the next time your vet comes out they could knock on her door and explain things?  Maybe she will listen more if it comes from an authority figure? Or the barn owner?
Just a thought.
--
- Amy 10-2016

Mooresville, Indiana

Stormy, Case History, Photo Album

Putting up a highly visible camera (or a fake one with a flashing red light on it) plus talking to the barn owner in stern terms might work.  It sounds like the offender is a tenant of the barn owner, which means that the barn owner would be potentially liable for harm to your horse and the costs incurred if she did not put a stop to this.

 A more difficult path might be to take the position that you lease an area in the the barn, and that you give license to barn employees to enter the area (including "entering" by throwing things into the area), but you do not give license to the offender to enter the space.  And then post No trespassing signs (including trespassing with thrown objects) and tell them you will put in a police report.

The former plan is probably the best.  You could reinforce with examples of the costs involved.  (Replacing the horse, paying for expensive care, etc).

--
Gail Russell 8/30/2008

 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gail%20and%20Brother%20-%20Odin%20-%20Decaffe%20%20-Gunthar .

Trisha DePietro

I have encountered this a few times over the years...I know you are upset. And I have been   very upset too. Maybe you could give her Stabul Nuggets and tell her to feed those to your horse instead of the carrots and apples? or another "safe" treat? I definitely would put up a camera, document on paper all of your interactions, date and timed and signed by you. Because she is renting the apartment, does her lease say she can access the whole property at any time? Maybe the landlord could help you with that piece of it....Also, post strong signs that the area is video monitored for the health and safety of your horse. Send her a registered letter ,that she needs to sign for that she received it about your discussions. Put everything in writing as much as you can...and the video to back it up. Then you can call the police with plenty of evidence. If you have to have the vet out- I would definitely send her a copy of the bill indicating that if you find that she was feeding your horse as of a certain date, she will be responsible for any and all vet bills, etc....I would consult your attorney as well to be sure of the laws in your state....
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Glad to see you recently updated you CH, but it does not seem to show the two 'recent' laminitis attacks.  Might want to add those to help people reading it get a clearer picture.

Also, I would update photos, body and hooves, and x-rays if you have any newer ones.

Feel bad for you, and the horse ...

--
Ellen
Pal & Savvy

Sherry Morse

Lorna,

My first thought was also to give her the vet bills so I guess I'll join you in going to your room :-)

jmc

Sigh, I've been in that same situation. Considering you are describing a barn my BO owned back then... I almost wonder if it is the same person (NoVA). In my case, my horse was a youngster with a weight problem (not yet diagnosed with anything), and only got a tiny bit of sweet feed (1/4 lb) just to keep him happy when his pasture mates were fed. I came back early from a trip to find his feed had been made up with an entire pound of sweet feed! I talked to the BO, she presumably takes to the weekend feeder, who basically refused to feed only what I asked! I ended up having to move him; the offender was a good friend of the BO, and she wasn't willing to do whatever to get this person to stop.

So, you might have to consider finding new accomodations if you cannot get this woman to stop. Take hope though, I found an even better place not far away. If you happen to actually be in the NoVA area, I can recommend a new place, even.

--
Jodi
June 2018

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

Joy V

"Glad to see you recently updated you CH, but it does not seem to show the two 'recent' laminitis attacks.  Might want to add those to help people reading it get a clearer picture.  Also, I would update photos, body and hooves, and x-rays if you have any newer ones."

Here's the picture, he's PPID/IR.  Currently PPID is well controlled, IR is uncompensated according to RISQI.  I have him on a diet, following all Dr. Kellon's protocols re feeding.  I hope that helps clarify his status.

The recent laminitis events were on April 8 (thru 12 until improvement) and general "footiness" that was not resolving all within the past 3 months (vet has been out during that time).  And then the low grade laminitis today.  I've been working 3 jobs for several months now, and was already working 2 of them for the past 3 years.  I haven't had much extra time to update my CH.  I also don't have the money to get new x-rays right now - I'm still paying for the previous vet visit when I had blood drawn.  When my trimmer comes next week I will ask her to help me take some pictures.  He had been staying pretty sound and had improved so much since I got his initial DX.  I'm really sad, and really stressed out about this.  I feel terrible for him, and it infuriates me that she would do this to him.  That's why I am asking here.  I have told her to her face to never feed my horse because he has Cushing's and is IR.  I have signs up on all available sides of his paddock, several to each side.  I read one WITH her when I talked to her face to face.  The BO has told her 2x she cannot feed the horses.

So I did get some good ideas, thank you everyone.  I am looking at some pretty cheap trail cams and will put one up just for a little peace of mind hopefully.  When I left tonight I went back I was so paranoid.

*Admins if this should be moved to horsekeeping, would you please do it?  I don't know how to.  Thank you.
--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

Joy V

Hi Trisha,

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.  I have started documenting everything on my calendar and have been making notes.  I will be doing many of the things you suggest.  One good thing is a lady at the barn who I'm friends with is a retired judge so I will be talking with her and the other ladies -- they are keeping eyes on Willie.

Joy
--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019

Helen Connor

Or could your vet sign an official-looking document that says your horse is not to be fed, and you post it on his stall with the vet's signature?
--
Helen Connor and Blessing (IR/PPID)
Scappoose, OR

Joy V

That's a fantastic idea Helen, I will ask him.  Thank you for that!

--
Joy and Willie
(aka FLS Boxcar Willie)

Nevada County, CA - 2019