Trouble finding suitable hay

Kim Leitch

I am having trouble finding low ESC hay this year. I have tested 5 different growers, 4 local growers (NC and SC), and one from NY. All the local hay was way over 10% ESC. The  NY timothy is 9.2% ESC and 0.8% starch. I have added a photo of th NY hay analysis to Dually’s photo album.

I looked back over all my hay analysis from past years, and the highest ESC +starch has been around 6%, and my horses have done well. I am going to buy this hay, because it’s the best I can find, but I’m afraid to feed it without soaking it. Am I being over cautious? Soaking hay is not a long term option for me, it will probably lead to divorce (only joking). I know many of you do it all the time, but with 5 feedings a day for 4 horses, that is too many hours out of my day.
So my question is, can I feed this without soaking?
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Grits and Dually: IR; Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Kirsten Rasmussen

I personally would soak but you know better how sensitive your horses are.  I was soaking a hay that was 10.5 % ESC and 0.7% starch, and my horse's insulin was still over 80 on it (danger zone).  A horse with less severe IR, and/or well controlled PPID, and/or that is exercised more might be fine on that hay, unsoaked.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Patricia Evans

Patricia Evans

Sorry, trigger happy finger.

I had acceptably low S/S hay that I started soaking only because of the dirt present in the hay and trying to get more water in my mare after she colicked. I was surprised how much better she moved, just from soaking. I know it's a pain to soak, but some horses just seem to do better on hay that's below even the total of ten that's recommended, and my mare is one of them. Now I soak every feeding, even if it's not needed. I do live in Northern Florida, so it's much easier for me than many, but we do get winter temps down to 10, and it did snow here once and I still soak, (even though I complain and whine the entire time). Soaking may be all you need to be able to use that hay. My gelding, on the other hand, would probably do fine with a 10 w/o soaking.
--

Patricia

North central Florida

July 7 2018

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Patricia%20and%20Dancer%20and%20Nathan
Dancer:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=66069

Nathan:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=94152
Snickers

threecatmanor@...

I think I need to soak my hay too. What are your methods for doing so? I attempted, but it weighs a ton!
--
Paige and Tito
Hayesville, NC  USA

Nancy C

Hi Paige

You may find some help in this document  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9b%20Pulling%20it%20Together/Hay%20Soaking%20Tips.pdf

I have successfully used the cooler on wheels method. Lots more in this doc.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

ShdwRs@...

Hi Kim
I live about an hour from you in SC and get New York Timothy from Steve Loheac in Green Creek, NC. I had my 2019 hay tested after learning my two Morgans are IR.  The As Sampled ESC is 5.5 % and the Starch is 0.8% (if I am reading it correctly as I am just starting to learn about this).
the 2020 hay will be coming in August and I will have it tested and can send or post the results.
--
Sally in Upstate SC
Joined 2020

Kim, do you mind sharing the PDFs of the analysis? I'd like to take a look at them. You can email me at katmando 'at' kc 'dot' rr 'dot' com
--

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)

Director and Research Advisor, ECIR Group Inc.

Missouri, USA, 2005

https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=3-I7UI0AAAAJ

Kim Leitch

I might be trying to relay too much i one post, but here goes..

Sally, it would be great if we could exchange hay results. My latest test was on NY Timothy, and it was 9.2% ESC and0.8% starch.

Kathleen, Do you want to see all my out of spec test results? If so, I can email you four of them. The fifth is in my pony’s (Dually) photo album.

Finally, a question, if I feed the Timothy in Dually’s photo album without soaking, how many days do I wait to have insulin tested to see if it is a problem?
--
Kim 10-2014

Clover, SC

Grits and Dually: IR; Bella: PPID, IR; and Eeyore (deceased, but not PPID related)

Case History https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Grits%20-%20Eeyore%20-%20Dually

Photo album Grits https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1314

Photo album Eeyore https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6586&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Dually https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=9046&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Photo album Bella https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=64978

Yes, please, if you don't mind. I see the one in Dually's photo album.

Thanks,