Invokana- How can I get it for my horse

Kelly Gilmartin

Dr K-
Can you provide guidance on how I can get my hands on Ivokana for Insulin in my 20 year old Morgan. I am concerned about getting his insulin levels down without being able to exercise. How do I dose? Do I need to get it through the human supply chain or can I get it through a vet?

Many thanks for your help,

--
Kelly Gilmartin/Buddy
Western Massachusetts

LJ Friedman

Until Dr. kellon  answers, you need a prescription from a veterinarian. With that prescription I think all of us go through Canadian pharmacies and each tablet costs anywhere from two dollars to three dollars depending on where you get it.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Kelly Gilmartin

LJ-
thank you! A timely response as my vet is coming today. Would using a human glucometer help? This would give me blood sugar values but not sure it would test insulin levels which I believe are the problem....has anyone had success in using a human glucometer?
--
Kelly Gilmartin/Buddy
Western Massachusetts
member since 2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Apostrophe%20GCH/BuddyCaseHistoryAug2020.pdf

Kelly Gilmartin

My vet says she is uncomfortable prescribing this...I am so disappointed :(
--
Kelly Gilmartin/Buddy
Western Massachusetts
member since 2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20Apostrophe%20GCH/BuddyCaseHistoryAug2020.pdf

I have a human glucometer. It's accurate enough. Be sure to read all the literature about calibration, use and accuracy before buying. My results have been plus or minus 5 pg/ml of the lab values, so I feel comfortable with the results from my unit. I don't use the lancet to draw blood but rather use a drop of the blood from any blood draw the vet does at the time of testing. You'll have to learn to use the lancet to draw blood through horse hide.

It is not a money saver. The device itself is cheap, a lost leader for the sale of the supplies. The device is designed to be used at least once a day, every day, so supplies should be used up quickly. The test strips, lancets and calibration fluid are not cheap and can have short expiration dates. It does NOT test insulin.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Kelly,

I don't blame your vet for being uncomfortable. She/he has probably never even heard of it. I have an information file for vets but since your insulin ( in the CH) wasn't horribly high I would try  metformin first.

Kelly Gilmartin

Thanks Dr Kellon,
I am awaiting bloodwork from
Cornell. We had a recent bout of laminitis so I am really scared but I will wait for the results and your expert guidance. This group is a Godsend to me