Easy Boot Cloud Fitting advice

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Hi all,

We have Vinnie temporarily in an Easy Cloud boot on the left front. I measured his foot which is 4.5" wide x 5"  length.   This put him in a size 1 boot, but this felt like I was squeezing his foot in a too small shoe.  So I tried a sz 2 which is a better fit but seems like it could be tight on the heel bulb. He wore this for two days and seemed pretty comfy. I ordered a 3 because I wasn't quite sure with how it seemed to hit the heel bulb, and while the 3 seems OK, is a little big and could be a little slippy also causing heel rubs. He also seemd to play with it a bit.

My question is should the heel bulb seemd sort of snug in the back of the boot and should i use a sock or vetwrap to protect rubs?  What has worked for you all? Is it OK to size up of the recommended size by measurement really seems too small?

Also, how much walking can they do in easy clouds, sounds like they are only for light turn out?

He will eventually be in a sneaker which is the set up on the right now and he is much happier that we have finally started to line out the trim.  Fingers crossed.  We still have a bit of a way to go but I am Finally hopeful.  Still on equioxx but I will try again to decrease tbat dosage of we can keep him comfortable.

Thanks Nancy
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

It sounds to me like the size 2 would be the best fit. As long as you aren't having to pound the boot onto the place the boot should be fine. You can powder the inside of the boot with Gold Bond medicated powder to help keep the inside of the boot dry.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Sorry, I may have missed/forgotten this part but is he now barefoot?

You want the heels to fit snugly, so that the boots don't rotate when the horse moves. That's the first priority. It's the movement that will cause rubs. If you see any rubs starting, you can put a strip of duct tape over the area of the foot that is getting rubbed. If you can fit socks or vet wrap into the heel, generally that means the boot is too large UNLESS that is needed for some other purpose (i.e. wrapping a wound, treating for an abscess).

He can walk around as much as he wants in the clouds. They aren't designed for formal exercise but general turnout on a horse that isn't running around will be fine. You can duct tape over the velcro for added safety in keeping the tops closed.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 01:10 PM, Nancy & Vinnie & Summer wrote:
My question is should the heel bulb seemd sort of snug in the back of the boot and should i use a sock or vetwrap to protect rubs?  What has worked for you all? Is it OK to size up of the recommended size by measurement really seems too small?
Nancy, IME the hoof size is only part of the equation on hoof boot fit. The pad you use makes a big difference. Some horses don't like the thick, spongy blue Cloud pads, maybe because of the angle, maybe because the softness of the thick pad can cause uncomfortable steady pressure somewhere on the bottom of the hoof. So my advice is get the size that fits with the pad Vinnie likes best. Sometimes using a different pad or adding a small, thin additional pad can really dial in the fit.

For my gaited mare, the boot must be really snug everywhere to stay on. To prevent rubs on the heel bulbs, my trimmer recommends slathering the heels with Swat. In the end, given Cayuse's wonky pronation and over-reach, I had to buy Easyboot Trails to keep a boot on her. They are fitted much more closely to the actual size of her hoof. Her preference is also very thin to no pad. YMMV.

--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Thanks Lavinia and Cass!

Lavinia, yes he is temporarily barefoot on the left. My new wonderful farrier :) is coming back to put a sneaker on ( he is making an appliance to be able to attach the show w/o going into the non existing hoofwall. He was planning last week, but was evacuated with the fires.

So we are temporarily booted. I can take a pic to show how littlw the clearance is. The heel bulb on the sz 1 was pressing pretty hard against that back surface and I had to Jimmy the foot to get it on squarely.

The 2 goes on nicely and the heel bulb rests adjacent to that back surface.  I am using one layer of vetwrap so not a lot pf wrapping.

Cass, he seems to like the blue pad that came with the boot. So that seems to work.

I will add images to my folder so everyone can see and then if I have to buy the sz 1 I can pick it up on Monday :) ( just returned it today) they sre gonna think I am as whacky as most other people do (lol)

In about 15 mins I will have some images.
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca
Joined Nov 2018

Summer

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Once you have the foot in the boot, let him stand down on it to set his foot fully inside. Then pick up the foot, grasp the boot around the heel area and try to rotate it from side-to-side across the heels. If the boot shifts/rotates, it's too big as it will do the same thing when he is walking. If not, BINGO!

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Collaeyn Hazen

Hi Nancy,
I have found the cloud boots due tend to stretch a bit after a few days (I have so many hoof boots it isn't funny) so the 2's sound like what I would go with. I have found that the Easyboot RX is a good option too, for when you are ready for a less poofy pad. I found they had less boot out in front of my Monty's toes.
--
Collaeyn, Monty, Shark, and Duke
Sewell, NJ

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Well, with the trick Lavinia shares, there is movement side to side when i don't have vetwrap on the foot. Sooooo, as snow as the 1s felt they were probably the right size.  I will keep the 2s because I think they will be handy to have. But 1s here I come again. Lol
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

I got the easy cloud and easy rx in size 1, and I think it is too small. It is very difficult to keep the boot centered and the velcro has to be pulled hard tk close it completely.

I feel like while the 2 had a little movement at the heel it is a better fit.

I uploaded images of the size 1.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Ok so after much debate in my own head...lolol... i am letting him try and break in the size 1.  I can see innthe size 2 pad how this may be an issue of stability having too much movement.  Check out the inside image of the pad.

Thanks all and Lavinia for your expert guidance.. wow who knew I could lose sleep over a boot lolol
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

When my deceased IR horse developed IR I bought the Cloud boots and they were good for a while. But I did notice that the front of his toes showed a lot of "wear" and rubbing. I found this business: https://happyhoofpads.com/.

This business sells every king of hoof/boot  pad material imaginable. I replaced the Cloud wedge pads with flat pads made of the same material. Initially I was hand walking my horse in Easy Care Clouds, then their transitions boots and then their regular easy boots. I was able to progress through a variety of pad densities and cut the pads myself from the the pads I got from Happy Hoof Pads. They have a huge selection of pad densities. Reasonable prices.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Maxine McArthur

Hi Nancy
Sorry I came late to this thread. I found the Clouds were hard to get on the first week or so. Had to use a rubber mallet to tap them on. It was a bit easier with Curash powder liberally applied. I couldn't get the straps closed all the way across.
However, after a week or so of wear, and regular washing, they softened up, and the pad started to mold to my horse's feet, and eventually they slid on like comfy slippers and the straps did up all the way. After several months of use (mostly 12 hours at night), the pads needed replacing and the boots were a little harder to get on, but not that much. The velcro did lose it's stickiness after 3-4 months and I wrapped duct tape around the straps every night. I was impressed with the boots' longevity. The only time my horse lost one in turnout was before I realised the velcro had died and hadn't used the duct tape.
I'd give it a week or so for the boots to settle in--in the meantime, the rubber mallet is useful. Make sure the hoof is clean and dry and powdered, and that you use the 'farrier stance' to hold the foot between your knees so you can use both hands to rock the boot on.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Thanks Maxine. The 1s are the right size for sure after letting them settle for.the day. Coincidentally, I had purchased the easy boot RX to try just in case the cloud was too much andsl he actually likes that boot much better. So I think like some others have mentioned, maybe the cloud pad was too much.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer