Thrush again

Bonnie

I have not had this problem for several years and thought there might be new advice. Especially since my research here and elsewhere with reliable sources shows some sites are no longer online e.g. Heike Bean's pages.
Lad has been standing for hours on sand right near the barn door, fiddling with the doorknob ("Can I get in for supper yet?") and enjoying the shade. But he urinates there so the sand is unhygienic. Feet are bothering him when being cleaned. There is a flap that must be trimmed.

I am off the beaten track here so getting White Lightning takes time. Is Lysol solution still in favor? What would be the ratio of Lysol to water? I could start with that.  I have No Thrush on hand.

--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Bonnie, I would start with 50:50 water and vinegar (usually ACV is recommended but I don't think it matters) soaks, for 20-40 min.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Bonnie

Thank you, Kirsten.
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

celestinefarm

Bonnie,
I still use and recommend No Thrush applied daily after scrubbing clean the bottom of the foot.  Heike and Josephine Trott, PhD,  published work is still available on the web. Heike site is gone however. Here is a link to the free flip book of it.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/52213660/whats-next-equinology
Pages 12-15.

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Ruth Vale

You can use a mixture called "Pete's Goo" - all ingredients from a drug store.   Polysporin Antibiotic 3-1 creme, Zinc oxide (baby butt creme - original formulation) and vaginal creme (anti-fungal).   Pete Ramsey is a well known trimmer - he has various formulations on his page (https://www.hoofrehab.com/Thrush_treatment.htm) but the one above is the one I used to clear up persistent thrush.  Once I got the management under control, and the metabolic issues addressed, the thrush disappeared.

Ruth Vale
and Bounce
(haven't had to consult these pages for almost 10 years, but he's 24 now, and being watched)

Deb Walker

In previous boarding situations Scotty had thrush in all 4 feet. It was horrible. I have tried every product known to man and horse, and I am with Dawn and HIGHLY RECOMMEND No Thrush. There is a purple product that works very well (White Lightening is highly irritant) but for the long haul, No Thrush is very good.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
Photos:

Pete’s Goo is wonderful. We have used the triple antibiotic and the athlete’s feet combo creams first. Then went with the copper and zinc to follow up, all via the syringe. It was a pretty yucky case, now gone.
--
Sondra in Maryland 2013

Bonnie

Thank you for the link to this valuable study. It's good to see how treatment was recorded and the photos are very helpful.
I hope this is in our files somewhere!
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Bonnie

Pete's Goo gets used on several species in this household, including people!
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Nancy C

Hi Bonnie

Is the central sulcus open or closed as in the sited study?

--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

ferne fedeli

I have been a No Thrush fan for years.  Only use it in the winter here...
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

No. California
Case History

Rhonda Turley

My horse had suffered from chronic thrush for the last 4 years off and on.  My farrier recommended iodine which i diligently applied but it always came back.So fast forward to present day and my horse is diagnosed with PPID and EMS.I started him on Prascend on April 25.    I found Dr. Kellon's diet and put him on it  I started him on Mad Barn AminoTrace+ on June 10 (its on her list) and the difference was immediate.  Next day he seemed better, brighter.  Within a week his thrush was healing.  I added the rest of the diet  in.  He has had no thrush since.
Rhonda Turley
Brampton, Ontario
April 2020
Scooter and Rhonda

Ronelle

A neighbor's horse had a horrible case of thrush in all feet and deep in the central sulcus and my farrier used a cow product called "Tomorrow".  It's made for treating udder mastitis.  He said to use it every three days, put a few drops where ever the thrush was.  We saw improvement in a day (the horse seemed more comfortable and the thrush was reducing), but kept applying it until all the thrush was gone.  Note:  That neighbor is in her 80's and isn't able to lift her horse's feet, so I've taken over checking the feet in the winter.
--
Ronelle and Yoyo
2015 Bend, Or, US

Bonnie

All 4 sulci are normal.
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Nancy C

OK. Great.  There is a lot of confusion in the equine community about a healthy central sulcus. I bet you know this. Just so those following along are all on the same page here's an example of normal from Dr Bowker.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/album?id=253072

His horses do not get thrush.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

Bonnie

Lad's sulci look like that Nancy. No deep cracks anywhere. Thanks for putting the photo up.
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario