Vitamin E

The flax oil I am feeding has 1000 mg of vitamin E per serving, is this enough for the horse or should I consider that only enough for a preservative for the oil and add additional e.

Thank you,

--
Cari Johnson
San Diego, CA

Bump

--
Cari Johnson
San Diego, CA

LJ Friedman

we use iu as vit E dose   most use 2,000 iu  . i use 3,000 iu cvs brand capsules with soy oil

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Lavinia Fiscaletti

For vitamin E, to convert from mg to iu, divide by .67.

So 1000mg divided by .67 = 1492iu.  That would be the approximate dose for a 750lb horse, as the general rule is to supplement 1000iu per 500lbs.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Sorry, I believe it is iu.

So no additional vitamin e is needed with feeding this oil.

Thank you,
--
Cari Johnson
San Diego, CA

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Depends on the size of the horse. 1000iu is the correct dose for 500lbs - if the horse weighs more, you need more vit E.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Thank you.

--
Cari Johnson
San Diego, CA

Suzie

Is it possible to give too much Vitamin E? When I was using Platinum Performance Vitamin E, the daily dose provided 8,000 iu.  Since my mare has neurologic deficits, I gave her the recommended amount of 8,000. I've since switched to gel caps. The suggested dose is 2,000 iu on the bottle, but I give her 8,000.

--
Suzie Kirkwood
Descanso, CA

The conversion from mg to IU depends on the form of vitamin E. See https://chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/Converting_Between_IU.html .

Suzie

I'm confused about your response. I'm not trying to convert iu to mg or vice versa. I did check the Platinum Performance Vitamin E and it's the same type as the My Best Horse gel caps. I'm asking if it's ok to give my horse 8,000 iu daily of Vitamin E, especially since she's got neurologic deficits. I can't tell froom their descriptions whether either product is synthetic Vit E or natural Vit E.
thank you.

--
Suzie Kirkwood
Descanso, CA
2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Suzie%20and%20Filaree

Hi Susie, I'm not a veterinarian so I don't know the correct answer, but I do that when my horse resented with neurological symptoms one of the things my vet had me do was put him on 10,000 iu's of vit e daily for a while. We did eventually bring it down to 4000.
--
Cari Johnson
San Diego, CA