Question for the Canadian folk

hdavis

Hello,

I am looking for comments and feedback from those in Canada who use boots, socks and wraps in the winter for horses who get winter laminitis. What boots do you use and  where do you get your winter wool socks from?  Do most use shipping boots for wraps?  I have used the shedrow black shipping wraps but my mare rips them off and breaks the Velcro.  I have had more success with BOT quick wraps but wonder if keeping these on all the time will effect my horses legs.  Looking for any ideas or suggestions as need to start gathering more supplies for this winter.  Thanks in advance.
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Lecia Martin

Hi Heather:  I deal with this every winter and my go to boots are Cavallo simple boots, wool socks xtra large from Marks Work Wearhouse, fleece pads from Equine jogging shoe people.  I have two pair of boots, one size larger for when I add socks and fleece pads.  I water proof the boots, and to keep snow out over the boot I add BOT bell boots and then top it off with fleece lined shipping boots.  This method is a bit of work but has worked well the last two winters.  I have started booting now as we have had some nites at 2 degrees. I mix it up some and have used BOT wraps and to keep these dry Professional Choice makes a water proof gaiter.  These might work well for your girl. Hope this helps.
--
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada

hdavis

Hello Lecia!

thanks for the info.  May I ask what brand of wool socks u get from Mark’s?  I will look into the fleece pads as well.  Do you out any other pads in your boots?  I currently am using the cloud boots with pads. One more thing I was thinking about waterproofing as well and was wondering if u can share what brand u use for this or what kind.  Good trick about the bell boots and will look at that too!

Thanks so very much!!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

LJ Friedman

You can also search the  website for this topic. It’s been covered often . I always used fleece lined shipping boots. But I had no access to snow, just cold temperatures with a maximum cold of 30°F

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Lecia Martin

Good Morning Heather:

The brand of socks at Marks is Wigwam. I do use another type of pad year round, the interlocking floor pads from Canadian Tire.  I add the fleece pad when it gets to minus 5 or so. As for the waterproof, it is a can silicone spray that I bought for a pair of boots I wear.  Seems to work well.
--
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada

hdavis

Morning Lecia!

thanks for the brand name of the socks and I will try ordering them.  Will also look for silicone waterproofing spray as have looked for spray but so many kinds out there it is good to hear from someone who has used one before.  I use the interlocking mats as well for pads but will see about adding the fleece ones in.  Good idea.

thanks for sharing and wonderful to hear from some fellow Canadians who deal with the same cold snowy winter weather!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Kirsten Rasmussen

Leica, what size bell boots do you need to fit over the Cavallos?  And what size Cavellos do you use?

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Lecia Martin

Hi Kirsten:

Flyte wears a size 3 in warmer weather and a 4 in winter.  I like the treks in summer and simple boots for the cold. The bell boots are a small as I want a snug fit.  I also use the tops of the socks I cut on the bell boots for extra warmth.
--
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada

Kirsten Rasmussen

Do you have a photo of how the bell boots fit over the Cavellos you can post?  I can't imagine a small bell boot fitting over a size 4 Cavallo simple, so I'm just wondering how it looks.  I'd like to order bell boots too but am not sure what size...  Thanks!!

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Lecia Martin

-- Kirsten   I took some photos for you but I will freely admit that I am technically challenged.  I have spent countless hours trying to figure out how to upload pictures, xrays etc. and am no farther ahead.   Leeanne uploaded my case history and my daughter does the updates when she comes home to visit. I can barely run my phone.  LOL. So can I email them to you privately or can you walk me thru the process.   I have read and re- read the instructions a million times and feel pretty stupid. I would love to know how to do this on my own as I have current xrays and hoof photos I would like to add,  as well as my other horse's case history.
Thanks,
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada
Mar 2017
Flame Case History

KATHIE DORVAL <bokayarabians@...>

Don't feel stupid, I have been trying for 2 years to do a case history and still don't have it! Not everyone is tech savvey.
--
Kathie with Libby and Sweet P
Cobble Hill, BC, Canada

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Lecia,

I started a new message about your photo album so we don't clutter up Heather's post.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/254517

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Rhonda Turley

it took me several months to get my horse's case history.  I had to nag, email, phone to get my vets to email me the actual results from testing.
--
Rhonda Turley
Brampton, Ontario

Judy and Bugsy

Hi Lecia

I’m preparing for the cold as well and am wondering if you use the felt pads from Equine Jogging Shoe or is there an actual fleece pad they sell that I can’t seem to find on their website?

Regarding the Wigwam socks from Mark’s - are you using the Men’s Canada 2 Thermal Boot Socks or which style of Wigwam?

I also bought battery operated heated socks. Ever try these? Or Hot Hands for toes?

Thanks for sharing from your experiences.

not looking forward to the cold... :(
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

Kirsten Rasmussen

If it's from Equine Fusion the pad is wool felt.  You can also buy wool felt and make your own.  You'll need a few pads because they get damp and then need to dry.

Some people here have cautioned about how hot the hand warmers get, and the possibility of a battery pack breaking and causing a chemical burn.  You might not need to go to these lengths.

Did Bugsy have hoof pain last winter?

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Judy and Bugsy

Thanks Kirsten. Yes Bugsy did have pain the last few winters but we also didn’t know about this group or balancing hay or the DDT in the past (found this group in February 2020) . When it was -40 there was lots of eating and little exercise.   So It’s hard to distinguish between the winter laminitis and mechanical laminitis (which he had a few years ago) and laminitis due to IR which may have been the cause of lameness in the past. I want to be prepared regardless.
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

Bobbie Day

Not directed at me but I buy felt rug material from amazon several feet at a time I cut a new insert every time I change/ clean out Desi’s boots. First pair I got from EF but I think I bought a six foot piece last time for twenty five dollars, cheap enough that I just throw them out.
I’m sure if you can’t order there you could find something similar?

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020

Judy and Bugsy

Thanks Bobbie.

Could you post a link?  We might be able to get something similar at Amazon Canada.
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

Bobbie Day

Lecia Martin

Hi Judy,    As Kirsten as said it is the wool felt pads from Equine Fusion and I do have more that one pair to switch them out.  Another option is to buy the felt liners for Sorel boots mens xtra large and cut pads to fit.  This works really well too.   As for the socks I buy the warmest ones in mens xtra large when I can find them. I have also purchased the Helly Hanson extreme wool socks.  I will be test driving those this year.  I have hesitated to use the hand warmers or battery powered socks, especially if I am not around to check on them. Not sure how hot they get.

Not looking forward to the cold either,  had a taste last nite, got to 0 here.   Was a crispy morning to be sure.
--
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada