ALCAR questions

Jennifer Murphy

I've just added ALCAR to Flea's diet and I'm floored by the change - yesterday he trotted for the first time in two years!  I'm not sure about dosing, though.

How long do I keep him on this; is it temporary or is it safe to use long term?

Currently he's only getting one dose in the morning.  He typically gets very sore in the winter.  Should I plan on giving him a dose with each meal when cold weather arrives, or increase his current dose, or should the current dose be fine?

He's now walking so much better and seems more comfortable, but I've noticed that he has a pronounced limp on the side where his lameness always begins when he has a "flare up".  I assume the ALCAR is helping with pain; is there any danger of him doing damage to his recovering hoof because the pain is masked?

--
Jennifer in NH
2020

CH - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Flea

Photo album - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=251041&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

hdavis

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The dose is 1 g/100 lbs of body weight. You can divide it between meals.  More isn't harmful but it may not help, especially with cold induced pain.  The ALCar helps with neuropathic pain which is pain that is exaggerated due to changes in the nerves and spinal cord. Those changes have been documented in horses with chronic laminitis.

Yes, it's safe long term.

I don't recall any horses whose pain has responded that quickly. ALCar does have other effects, particularly in improving muscle function. Do you know what the horse side of his parentage was? I'm wondering if he has a myopathy that it is helping.

Don't worry about it masking pain. If he's limping, he still feels pain. It only helps specifically with neuropathic pain.

Jennifer Murphy

Thank you for responding; his dam was a miniature horse.
He's been pretty sore and slow for a long time, but maybe it was sore muscles.  My vet is coming back in three weeks to do another round of blood work as he's finally eating his meals with the Metformin in them, I'll ask her what she thinks.