Topics

New Poll - Important #poll-notice

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

As you all know, we do not consider fructan - a component of NSC and WSC - when evaluating the likely safety of a hay but recommendations to limit NSC rather than ESC are still very common elsewhere.

If you have a hay analysis and are safely (no laminitis flares) feeding the hay, please answer the question:

What is the NSC of your hay?  [NSC = WSC + starch]

Results

See Who Responded

Sherry Hite

Do you want those of us who soak our hay to respond with our “after soaking” numbers?
--
Sherry & Pepper, August 2015, No. Calif

Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Pepper

Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=5798  .

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Yes, please.

Kim Rice <kimberztaz@...>

13.6 prior to soaking but found I have to soak it for him.
--
Kim R, Lafayette, CA  2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Shomee

Lynn

Hi Dr. Kellon - I'm waiting to get my latest hay analysis - i will respond as soon as i get the results.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Tanna

No recent tests but put in a vote for over 12% using hay analysis for a time when my mare tested as compensated IR.

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Just a reminder here that we do NOT want your ESC + starch number.  This poll wants to know WSC + starch, which is NSC.

Just a note to encourage everyone reading this to consider taking this poll and as a reminder, you need to add WSC and starch to get NSC.
--

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)

Director and Research Advisor, ECIR Group Inc.

Missouri, USA, 2005

https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=3-I7UI0AAAAJ

Dr. Kellon and I seem to be traveling on the same plane... :-) But seriously, folks...
--

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)

Director and Research Advisor, ECIR Group Inc.

Missouri, USA, 2005

https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=3-I7UI0AAAAJ

gypsylassie

Dr. Kellon, ever since Chappie was diagnosed I've  had to buy hay from several different sources to get enough each year.   Out of 6 different hay loads from 2017 thru 2020,  there were 3 with  WSC + Starch over 10%.  Would you like separate  votes for the 3 above 10% and one to represent the below 10% loads?   Chappie has been fine with all of them.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Helen Connor

--
Helen Connor and Blessing (IR/PPID)
Scappoose, OR

jmc

Although this year's hay is reasonable - NSC is 11.5% (ESC 8%) - last year's hay was high at 15.2% (ESC 6%) and no laminitis issues.

--
Jodi
June 2018

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Separate vote for each hay please.

gypsylassie

It won't let me vote more than once, so I used the over 12% hay vote.