Cornell insulin over 200

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The laboratory director at Cornell told me if your insulin is coming back as over 200 you can request that it be quantified so that you get an actual number. It's best to have your vet request this at the time of the submission if the insulin may be high. No harm done if it turns out not to be that high.

LJ Friedman

Is this something new?  I Never liked not knowing when Cornell showed over 200, as they  always did for jesse. I did send this to my vet to let him now

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The 200 uIU/mL is the upper limit of the assay they started using a few years ago so to get an actual number the sample has to be diluted when it's high - e.g. dilute  in half then double the result you get, etc. I don't know who made the decision to just report greater than 200 when it's high but the director did tell me they will do the extra work to get an actual number if requested.

LJ Friedman

My vet is not understanding how to request the over 200 insulin. What should be written on the  lab sheet being sent to Cornell  to include an over 200  reading  , if the sample is over 200, with the sample.?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Please quantify insulin readings over 200.