Safe joint supplements for PPID /IR horses?

Sue

I'm looking for a safe joint supplement or possible non prescription anti inflammatory.  Sorry I have not done my case history but I think my horse may have some arthritis.  This group has been such a huge help already(just from learning from others) as I have owned Tex for 2 years (got him August 13, 2018) and this is the first year without August laminitis.    He seems to be doing great running around in the pasture but has been tripping under saddle a bit which he did when I got him (he occasionally trips in the pasture).  He is 20 Y/O and seems a little stiff in his movement at times(just like me).  I would love to give him some joint support but I know he can't have glucosamine.   It's there a joint supplement that's safe?  His spring bloodwork had him in the normal range for insulin and ACTH.  He does not appear to be in pain as he is always perky and moving around with his pasture buddy no signs of cresty neck.  He was started this June on Prascend. I just want to protect his joints if I can.

--
Sue M in OH 2019

Sherry Morse

Hi Sue,

If his ACTH was in the normal range why was he started on Prascend?  What does his current trim look like?  The tripping in the pasture and under saddle may be mechanical in which case a joint supplement won't necessarily do anything, but getting his trim tightened up may help.

This is one of the reasons why we are such sticklers on having current information and pictures when a question like this comes up.  It's easy to say 'try this supplement' but if the issue is actually something else the supplement may not do anything other than lighten your pocketbook.

Sue

 Sherry,
I would love to have the hoof pictures looked at but due to technical challenges (me being technically challenged).  I'm not sure how to make that happen. When I signed up to learn from this group 2019,  I was 24/7 caregiver of my 83 y/o mother who had a severe stroke so had no spare time.  My mother has now passed and her home cleaned out all by myself as my husband farms and my mother passed during planting season. House sold but I'm  trying to get my life back in order as I have been on hold for 4 years.  I have just followed all the guidelines laid out by the group and it's working.  Last Fall Tex had an elevated ACTH of 130 and insulin (I will have to find my bloodwork paper for the insulin level) that I was hoping was seasonal variance since he seemed to be getting better with diet. No cresty neck or puffy eye sockets.  Due to reading everything I could on this site I had him retested in the Spring and both levels were in normal range so I figured diet and exercise was helping but did not take a chance on the seasonal rise getting him so he's on Prascend since June 2020.
  From October 2019 until now we have worked on correcting his 4° rotation through 4 week trim cycle, hoof boots, and diet. I follow the Pete Ramesy poor man's cheater diet since hay has been awful around here  with too much rain last spring/all stems by the time they could get in fields to harvest it and now drought this year.  I can't find a hay supplier to get a large enough amount for testing.  August x-ray 2020 shows no rotation and normal sole depth on one foot and just under normal sole depth on the other.
  He has been running, playing, and had been doing walk trail rides until the tripping seemed to get a bit worse (am using hoof armor to protect his soles).  Now he still runs and plays but I'm afraid of the tripping. Does not appear lame when lunging W/T/C.
  He was a rescue when we got him with horrible rotten hooves (frogs completely eaten away by thrush and hooves had not been trimmed in years).  He was not being cared for at all.  I'm not sure how long in his life he was actually fed as the lady was having someone put a bale of hay out once a week  and he was on a very bad/sparse pasture (lucky for him because of his insulin problem or he would not have been able to walk at all).
 I'm not sure what I could do with the trim as it was hard enough getting my farrier to believe that the rotation could be corrected.  He did comply with keeping the toes back and 4 week trim cycle but that was hard to get him out  as he is really busy and seriously thought it was impossible to correct rotation (just shoe for comfort).  Farriers are hard to come by in my area and barefoot trimmers are non existent.  I did locate one on the barefoot organization about 1 &1/2 to 2 hours from my area and thought about calling to see if she would travel my way.  I thought about trying to trim myself but my lower back would have to get better first.  Would really like to try some joint supplement  as I want to heal this horse the best I can inside and out. I think his joints could be achy with having years of really long spread out hooves.  I know joint supplement makes me feel better so was hoping it would help him.  He is so sweet and deserving. So even if I figure out how to get pictures loaded would still like the "safe" joint supplement list as I thought I read of supplements that don't mess with insulin here when I first joined.  Sorry for the rambling.

--
Sue M in OH 2019

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Sherry,

Uckele has one that they say is ECIR friendly:
https://uckele.com/horse/ecir-friendly-products/ecir-joint.html?p=1
They also have a new CBD product that has had good feedback here:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/246424
They have some other products too:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/249294

Also My Best Horse has something called Move-Ease that is also safe:
https://mybesthorse.com/info_mov-ease.html

Hyaluronic acid and Devil's Club are also used, dosing information on these are in our messages.  Often people find that one of the above, or a couple, works better for their horse than the other supplements so try a few.

In my (limited) experience, horses tripping on their toes have often been due to toes being left too long by the trimmer.  I can think of many examples I've seen of this.  It is not the only possible cause but I bet it's one of the most common.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Sherry Morse

Thanks Kirsten, I think you meant Sue, but thanks for sharing the list.

FWIW I don't have Scutch on anything right now but I've thought about 'what if I decide to supplement'. He's not currently having issues from the torn gastroc but I expect that at some point in the future he might.

Sue

Thank you  Kristin and Sherry for the info.
 I know everyone is probably tired of explaining to people but how do I get to where I can load hoof pictures and x-rays?

Sue

--
Sue M in OH 2019

Sherry Morse

Hi Sue,

All the information on how to upload pictures is outlined in your welcome letter (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/241989) as well as in the Wiki (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki#Photos-and-Hoof-Evaluation-Help).

You are already a member of the Case History group but it doesn't look like you ever started a case history or a photo folder.