How do you tell it’s Winter Laminitis before the cold comes?

Judy and Bugsy

Hi All,

I’m wondering if there is a way to tell if Bugsy’s feet have suffered nerve damage and may be affected by the cold before the cold hits?  We had 40 degree f (4celcius) last two nights and he’s walking and moving fine (no boots,wraps or blanket on) but I’m concerned when it hits -40. I have hoof boots, shipping boots and blankets but if I should be supplementing with Jiaogulan I need to get that ordered so I am prepared.

He has been sore previous winters (December’s when it’s really cold) Prior to starting the DDT model but I’m not sure if it’s due to the inactivity that also accompanies cold weather, untested hay, incorrect trim and minerals or a combination of everything.

Is there anyway to confirm “winter laminitis” before the cold comes?

thanks in advance!
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

Judy,

There's no way to tell ahead of time.

Judy and Bugsy

Thanks for your response Dr K. Would supplementing with jiaogulan regardless if nerve damage has occurred or not be beneficial as a proactive measure?
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

Supplementing with Jiaogulan certainly can't hurt but you need to be prepared to shorten the interval between trims because of rapid hoof growth. You will still need wraps and lined boots.

Judy and Bugsy

Thank you Dr K and good to know about more frequent trimmings.