THIRD TRY.... Dosing of Kaolin-Pectate

larkstabatha

Three's a charm... right?!  Hoping for a response to my posts https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/254566 and https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/254454 going back to September 6th.

Hoping to find out if you would continue to administer the Kaoline-Pectate for a certain number of days after the manure solidifies?  Or stop as soon as manure is (percent) solid fecal balls.

Tabby still has partially solid manure with green, liquid gas, and I stopped dosing the Kaolin-Pectate while waiting to hear from you.  .

Thank you, S

Sally in Big Park, Arizona/April 2013

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sally%20with%20Tabby%20and%20Maisie

Kirsten Rasmussen

Sorry Sally, I have no idea.  Did you try searching Horsekeeping messages for kaolin?

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

martha williams

Our elderly Quarter Horse had had diarrhea for years. A year ago We called a brilliant new IM VMD vet in our area. Among other things, she took a rectal biopsy and discovered IBD.
(She also did a peritoneal tap to check for cancer). Horse was given a long course of metronidazole (for IBD). In addition
he was given full tube ProbioticWise paste daily for a short time, which has been reduced to 1/4 tube daily for maintenance.
We give 1 ounce high quality fish oil (from KER) AM & PM (anti- inflammatory)....
His Forage is Timothy Balance Cubes, soaked very soft, and TC
Safe Starch Forage. NO coarse long fiber hay.
He gets Stabul 1 and 1 & 1/2 mg Pergolide (Pet Health). (For previously high ACTH.)
He’s been doing great consistently. A most happy fella!
We think Accurate diagnosis is the best thing. Can’t usually treat effectively without knowing exactly what you’re dealing with....:.
(We assume your vet has carefully checked for parasites?)
Good luck!
Williams/Dubrow. ‘O8

larkstabatha

Thanks for responding Kirsten.  Did not find anything pertinent to my question on either this group or horsekeeping.
--
Sally in Big Park, Arizona/April 2013

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sally%20with%20Tabby%20and%20Maisie

celestinefarm

Sally, once you have firm manure for a few days, discontinue the Kaolin Pectate. Three days of good manure, stop using it. I'm not a vet, but experienced in diarrhea in horses and in foals.  If your horse's diarrhea returns you need to have the vet look somewhere else for the cause.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

larkstabatha

Thank you Dawn... makes good sense.  Thank you for the three day guideline.