prepping drawn blood at local hospital lab

Bonnie

My horse vet can't come to town the annual blood tests. A mobile small animal clinic is coming here and that vet will draw blood. The tubes will go directly to the local hospital, to be prepped by the kind lab technicians. I will deliver them to the clinic of my regular vet.
I need to refresh my memory on what needs to be done with the fresh sample. Tests required are glucose, insulin, and ACTH. The horse vet is providing needles and tubes.
Is there a file for this? Have not found one.
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Bonnie

"Have not found" a file: let me rephrase this: not found a brief instruction re: which sample needs to be spun? Glucose, insulin, ACTH?
Vet is coming at 7:30 a.m so do I need to give hay at 4 a.m.? Hay is fed around 9 p.m. and is gone too soon if feeding should precede blood draw by 4 hours.
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Maxine McArthur

The website has quite clear instructions for the ACTH, which needs to be in a purple-topped tube, refrigerated then spun within a couple of hours:
https://www.ecirhorse.org/DDT+E-diagnosis.php
I also found this thread between you and Jaini a couple of years ago: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/213803
 Whatever lab your vet clinic uses should have instructions for them.

Hay should be in front of the horse up to the time of testing if possible. Otherwise the draw should be four hours after the first meal of the day. So I guess either you could put out extra hay, maybe in tiny-mesh nets so it will last, or do an early feed.

HTH

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Hi Bonnie,

You can find the basic information on the ECIR website at https://www.ecirhorse.org/DDT+E-diagnosis.php and more specifics on the Guelph website in the user guide: https://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/endocrine-testing

As far as timing of the test - 7:30am is unfortunate but if there's any way to make sure he's fed at 3:30am or given enough late at night to tide him over until closer until 7:30am that would be best.

Bonnie

He can get through a doubled 3/4 inch bag in a remarkable short time so it will be an early feed. Thanks for the Guelph information.

--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Kirsten Rasmussen

And have a small cooler of ice on hand to put the tubes in for transport.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History