V/M supplement/ diet help

Kristin Horton

--
I’m new to Cushings life and have not stopped reading. 18 yr old, OTTB, history of ulcers, non-healing scratches, super anxious, picky eater. Current diet: 1#Triple Crown 30, 1 cup Outlast (am and pm), succeed, U7, 1 cup Seminole DynaSport (flavor), 2#s AlfaLox (dessert), salt, 2000iu Vitamin e and Copper/Zinc.  Forage: access to grass (FL bahai)- typically only grazes in the AM, free choice Timothy hay and small amount of alfalfa. Prior to Cushings, he was on a high amount of alfalfa for ulcers. 1 week into Prascend (1tab). Since he has major anxiety, similar to panic attacks, locking him in a stall or dry lot would be terrible for him mentally- however he is not a grass hog and can come and go from his stall as he pleases. I have looked through the acceptable V/M supplements and trying to choose which would be best to replace the TC30. Trying to get a hay analysis however, it’s challenging here because I can’t store a large amount and it comes from different suppliers. Vermont Blend has salt, magnesium- but no vitamin A or Vitamin E. I have Vitamin e for my other horse, so adding that is not a big deal. Cal Trace plus- does not have salt or magnesium. MadBarn listed has added iron. Am I correct that I need magnesium, vitamin e and a and salt? So would it matter which one I choose- being I add the items? He does not like any hay pellets (dry or soaked), Hates beet pulp, So finding a carrier for the V/M may be a challenge. Can I still use the textured feed as a carrier, since it’s only a cup? Or sprinkle it on his AlfaLox? Or does this defeat the purpose of using a V/M supplement and maybe sticking to TC30 is best? I need to make small changes at a time, As he is super sensitive and gets upset easily, so trying to prioritize. Any advice is appreciated!! Thank you.
Kristin Horton, FL, 2020

Cindy Q

Edited

Hello Kristin

Welcome to the group! Thank you for getting your signature up.

I'll be sharing our group's welcome letter below. It is long but there is a lot of detail on diagnosis, diet, trim and exercise (where applicable). There are links embedded to pages/files with more elaboration and options as well. It sounds like you have found some of them already but it is still worth a read in the order in which it appears and is a useful reference you can bookmark to refer back to. I hope you will be able to work on your case history as there's some gaps in the information that could be helpful in providing you with advice (eg. whether he has other symptoms, was he ever footy, diagnosed with laminitis before? Tested for IR? His body condition?)

A few comments:
- non-healing scratches. My previous lease horse (warmblood) also had a lot of ongoing scratches but they eventually cleared up. You may find that being on prascend helps to resolve some skin issues (with appropriate care as applicable).
- Prascend (pergolide): To know whether he has reached the right dose needed for him, his ACTH can be retested 2 to 4 weeks after you reach your intended dose. Read more about it here: https://www.ecirhorse.com/pergolide.php
- hay testing. For people who have constantly changing hay due to supply, regional hay analysis might be the next best thing but only if the hay is coming from the same region and only for mineral balancing. Another method worth trying is to test periodically so that over time you build an average for hay in your area. I would do this even if you end up feeding one of the safe mineral supplements which are like best estimates/best guess types. It's hard to say which of the acceptable balancers will suit you more since they are all not based on precision of your actual hay analysis. Dr Kellon may be able to comment more based on regional information. You may also want to approach the companies for a sample as some of them do give samples for you to check palatability since you already know your horse is very picky. The 3 companies you named are reputable and the iron if listed is naturally occurring and not added.
- You need vitamin E, salt and since your horse doesn't graze much anyway omega 3 (flaxseed meal). Flaxseed meal may also be a useful thing to help his condition (I'm guessing he's not over-conditioned since he is a stressy ottb and picky eater) and skin. You can read that more in the diet section below. You asked if a textured feed as a carrier is ok as it's only 1 cup - that depends on your horse. It's not recommended but some horses are less sensitive than others. You could try reducing the amount if it's just a taste tempter to eg. half a cup or 3/4 cup. Maybe you will be lucky and he likes flaxseed and that could be your taste tempter. Omega Horseshine contains stabilised flaxseed meal and is safe specs and seems quite palatable. If your horse is PPID but not IR and his PPID is controlled with Prascend or pergolide at a suitable dose, you have a little more wiggle room in my experience. A safe carrier you may want to try is stabul 1 which comes in a range of flavours. I know you said he doesn't like hay pellets soaked or dry but some members have also reported that the
Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance cubes or TC Naturals Timothy Balance cubes (same product with the latter marketed under Triple Crown so you may be able to get this easily) are very palatable and break apart with only a little water and can be served pretty dry.
- magnesium: this depends on whether your current feeds are short. But if using magnesium oxide, it's quite safe to add. If you have too much, you will see loose stools. I haven't so far had that experience after feeding magox to several different horses/ponies.
- The alfalox forage at minimum 7% fat is also not within the recommendations here. But on TC's website they say over several months they will be phasing this out anyway and replacing it with another product. No information on sugar or starch levels but molasses and wheat middlings are ingredients.
Some horses are sensitive to alfalfa in that they get footy/footsore on it. I have to defer to Dr Kellon or the other mod volunteers on recommendation here.
- Also have a look at our picky eaters checklist: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/filessearch?q=Picky

Here is the full letter:

The ECIR Group provides the best, most up to date information on Cushing's (PPID) and Insulin Resistance (IR). Please explore our website where you'll find tons of great information that will help you to quickly understand the main things you need to know to start helping your horse. Also open any of the links below (in blue font) for more information/instructions that will save you time.

Have you started your Case History? If you haven't done so yet, please join our case history sub-group. We appreciate you following the uploading instructions so your folder is properly set up with the documents inside. Go to this CH message with info on how to use various devices and forms. If you have any trouble, just post a message to let us know where you are stuck.

DIAGNOSIS: There are two conditions dealt with here: Cushings (PPID) and Insulin Resistance (IR). These are two separate issues that share some overlapping symptoms. An equine may be either PPID or IR, neither or both. While increasing age is the greatest risk factor for developing PPID, IR can appear at any age and may have a genetic component. Blood work is used for diagnosis as well as monitoring the level of control of each.

PPID is diagnosed using the Endogenous ACTH test, while IR is diagnosed by testing non-fasting insulin and glucose.

The fat-derived hormone leptin is also usually abnormally elevated in insulin resistance but because there are many other things which can lower or increase leptin ECIR is not recommending routine testing for this hormone. Leptin is the hormone that says "stop eating".

In Europe, adiponectin is tested instead of leptin. Adiponectin helps regulate glucose and fat burning, and maintain insulin sensitivity. Low levels are associated with EMS. It has come to be preferred over leptin because it is not influenced by things like weight or exercise, and also because it was the only factor other than insulin levels that predicted laminitis risk

Treatment: IR is a metabolic type - not a disease - that is managed with a low sugar+starch diet and exercise (as able). The super-efficient easy keeper type breeds such as minis, ponies, Morgans, Arabs, Rockies are some of the classic examples. PPID is a progressive disease that is treated with the medication pergolide. Some, but not all, individuals may experience a temporary loss of appetite, lethargy and/or depression when first starting the medication. To avoid this "pergolide veil" (scroll down for side effects), we recommend weaning onto the drug slowly and the use of the product APF. The best long term results are seen when the ACTH is maintained in the middle of the normal range at all times, including during the annual seasonal rise. To accomplish this, the amount of medication may need to increase over time. Neither condition is ever "cured", only properly controlled for the remainder of the equine's life. If your partner is both PPID and IR then both medication and diet management will be needed.

  • low carb (less than 10% sugar+starch)
  • low fat (4% or less)
  • mineral balanced

We use grass hay, tested to be under 10% ESC + starch, with minerals added to balance the excesses and deficiencies in the hay, plus salt, and to replace the fragile ingredients that are lost when grass is cured into hay, we add ground flax seed and Vitamin E. This diet is crucial for an IR horse, but also supports the delicate immune system of a PPID horse.

What you don't feed on the IR diet is every bit as, if not more important than, what you do feed! No grass. No grain. No sugary treats, including apples and carrots. No brown/red salt blocks which contain iron (and sometimes molasses) which interferes with mineral balancing, so white salt blocks only.

No products containing molasses. No bagged feeds with a combined sugar and starch of over 10% or starch over about 4%, or fat over about 4%. Unfortunately, even bagged feeds that say they are designed for IR and/or PPID equines are usually too high in sugar, starch and/or fat. It’s really important to know the actual analysis and not be fooled by a name that says it is suitable for IR/PPID individuals.

We do not recommend feeding alfalfa hay to IR/PPID equines as it makes many of them laminitic. Although it tends to be low in sugar, many times the starch is higher and does not soak out. Additionally, protein and calcium are quite high, which can contribute to sore footedness and make mineral balancing very difficult.

EXERCISEThe best IR buster there is, but only if the equine is comfortable and non-laminitic. An individual that has had laminitis needs 6-9 months of correct realigning trims before any serious exercise can begin. Once the equine is moving around comfortably at liberty, hand walking can begin in long straight lines with no tight turns. Do not force a laminitic individual to move, or allow its other companions to do so. It will begin to move once the pain begins to subside. Resting its fragile feet is needed for healing to take place so if the animal wants to lay down, do not encourage it to get up. Place feed and water where it can be reached easily without having to move any more than necessary. Be extremely careful about movement while using NSAIDs (bute, banamine, previcox, etc.) as it masks pain and encourages more movement than these fragile feet are actually able to withstand. Additionally, NSAIDs (and icing) do not work on metabolic laminitis and long term NSAID use interferes with healing. Therefore, we recommend tapering off NSAIDs after the first week or so of use. If after a week's time your equine's comfort level has not increased, then the cause of the laminitis has not been removed and keeping up the NSAIDs isn't the answer - you need to address the underlying cause.

Cindy and Glow - Sep 2017, Singapore
ECIR Primary Response

Kristin Horton

Thank you, Cindy!  I will work on the case history.

He is a bit foot sore, however he has been tender since I removed his shoes several years ago- only on the concrete aisle- he is fine in the pasture. I just purchased him some soft ride boots, Unfortunately, it is so wet here right now, I haven't been able to use them. If they do not work, I will put shoes back on him.  I removed them because he is not a fan of standing for the farrier for too long and since he was semi retired, he didn't need them.  Body Condition is good (5/6). We did not test for IR, I was under the impression he needed to be fasted and since much of his anxiety is around meal time and we just finally got his ulcers under control, we did not want to stress him more than necessary.  He also has to be sedated with a tube of DormGel prior to the vet arriving and it is still stressful for him.  We have spoken about testing when he has his recheck.  I think the biggest issue I have is that I have to keep his mental health as a top priority, so I am not sure how much of his environment I would be able to safely change if he was IR. My plan was to do as much as I can to feed him like he is IR, without stressing him and having ulcers come back.  I have a bag on OHS and add it in the winter, so thank you for that info- I will begin adding it now to his diet and see if this allows me to decrease the textured feed. If I go with the Cal Trace, I will also order the MagOx at small doses- this may also help with some of his anxiety.  The AlfaLox is ESC 6.6% and starch 0.6%, but I didn't even think about the 7% fat.  I will pick up some of the TC Timothy Cubes and see if he likes them and try to replace the AlfaLox with them- great suggestion.  I have asked the hay suppliers for hay analysis and will definitely keep working on this- as you said, even if I could get an estimate, it would at least give me an idea if the sugar/starch was acceptable.  Just for my own information, I am curious what part of the Ration Balancer TC30 is not a good choice- I see that it has added iron, which is why I add Copper/Zinc- is it all the extra stuff (fillers) that may not be necessary? ESC 9.2% and sugar is 1.8%.  I am happy to replace it with Cal Trace or VB.  I am leaning towards Cal Trace, since it has a pellet option available.  I will keep reading and learning.  I appreciate you responding and sorry I have so many questions.  It is a lot to take in and find a good balance.  I thank you and the group.

--
Kristin Horton

--
Kristin Horton, FL, 2020

Hi Kristin, welcome!

As a TB, your horse is less likely to be IR at baseline than others, meaning if his PPID is well controlled, he probably won’t need as many restrictions to his diet.  You don’t mention any blood testing but I assume that has been done prior to your starting him on pergolide.  Please share the bloodwork values with us so we can comment more productively.

My horse, Logo, a WB with many years of PPID, never showed any indication of being IR, even when his PPID was less controlled than I liked.  He had issues with scratches which I treated with everything imaginable, even taking a plug for biopsy, which showed nothing unusual.  Once I started him on pergolide, that problem lessened dramatically, even becoming a guide as to whether or not I needed to increase his pergolide.

I tested my hay and a commercial blend similar to Vermont Blend, which had yet to be developed, was recommended as being close to perfect.  His continuing problems with hoof quality concerned me and eventually I switched to a custom supplement.  That switch made a remarkable difference in the quality of his hooves.  Vermont Blend does have added salt but, if I remember correctly, more salt is still indicated.  Do you know the source of your hay?  I often see truckloads of haying moving through here from Canada, going south. Knowing it’s source would help you to know what additives are needed.  You will find lots of members here have similar hay sourcing/testing issues to yours so do some creative searching of the messages.

I use TC balance cubes as carrier for additives but I do have some IR ponies which need their sugars and starches more controlled.  With Logo, who never showed any indication of being IR or having foot pain, I used a senior feed for years before I learned of the cubes.  The cubes contain a small amount of beet pulp as a binder so it might be good to locate a sample to try.
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Sherry Morse

Hi Kristin,

Before you put shoes back on your boy it would be really helpful if you could post pictures of his current trim and any x-rays of his feet that you have in the case history group.  It sounds like he probably has thin soles if he's comfortable on sand but not on concrete and there are ways to address that besides adding shoes.

Was he sedated prior to being tested for PPID?  What was his ACTH reading?

Cindy's already touched a bit on the diet element of this but in addition to the Alfalox being higher in fat than we recommend for a PPID or IR horse, we also do not recommend Outlast due to the alfalfa base.  The TC 30 is over our 10% recommendation for ESC+starch as well as having a lot of iron in it - you can find an analysis one of our members had done on it here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9c%20Analyses%20of%20Various%20Feeds/Triple%20Crown%20Products/Triple%20Crown%2030%20Percent%202016-09-03.pdf.  The Dynasport is also high in ESC+starch (15% according to their guaranteed analysis) and very high in fat as well.

If you can transition him to one of the known safe carriers and taste tempters Cindy mentioned you may find he does better overall with many of the issues that he currently has as diet is big piece of the puzzle for many of these horses, even if they aren't IR.  Stabul 1 is another taste tempter that many of our members use and it's safe for both IR and PPID horses.

Kristin Horton

Thank you, Martha! The chance that he may not be IR, is great! Yes, bloodwork was all completely normal.

The scratches already seem to be drying out a bit, so I am hopeful this is from the meds beginning to work. Good tip on using them as a way to possibly know when his meds need adjusting. The supplier I am using for hay now grows it mainly in Idaho, though he also gets some from Canada periodically.  I will go ahead and find a way to test this batch, which should give me a guesstimate on the S/S at least. I got a sample bale of Tifton 85 which was tested and super low in S/S, good protein- but Mr. Picky will not eat it.  I will search the messages to see what else I can find.

I will pick up some TC bance cubes this week.  I have another horse who chokes and can't have hay, so they won't go to waste.

I really appreciate your response.

--
Kristin Horton

--
Kristin Horton, FL, 2020

Kristin Horton

Thank you, Sherry!

ACTH:  Pre 46.5 pg/ml  Post 467 pg/ml.  Yes, he was sedated.  My vet said he asked Cornell if that would change the results and they said it was ok- as this is the only way anyone is coming near him with a needle.  I will work on getting some pictures of his feet, I have not done xrays yet.  I did put the soft rides on for a trial this morning and he walked perfectly on the concrete with them.

Good info on the Outlast.  I am only post ulcer treatment for 2 weeks and this is the 2nd treatment- so I am afraid to make too many changes at once, but it sounds like I need to do an entire diet overhaul.   I will order the Cal Trace today and buy some of the TC balance cubes- to see if this will work for his main meals (replacing TC30, Dynasport).  Once I get this part figured out, then I will wean him off of the Outlast and AlfaLox. I will also order some samples of the Stabul 1.

Thank you for all your help.

P.S: Am I supposed to be relying to group or replying to sender?

--
Kristin Horton

--
Kristin Horton, FL, 2020

Sherry Morse

Hi Kristin,

Last question first - if you're replying from the website "reply to the group" is the option you want. If you're replying from Gmail just hit "reply".

Glad to hear he was sound with the Soft Rides.  That's a pretty good sign he needs more sole depth and possibly some trim tweaking to help get him there.

As far as the medicating - I believe that's more of an issue if you were to try to test him for IR so my suggestion for now would be to treat the PPID and modify his diet appropriately and if there is any elevation in insulin due to the PPID it will hopefully be resolved that way.

Keep us posted on how the diet changes go and if you have any questions about posting pictures or completing the Case History just let us know.

Cindy Q

Edited

Hi all

Wow great discussion and good on you Kristin for making so many positive steps! Glad he is liking his Soft Rides. Also, I live in a very humid and tropical temperature year-round environment which is currently raining like monsoon season (although it's technically too early for that - but we nearly saw the stable flooded on the weekend) and we are using a stable disinfectant powder in cloud boots overnight on a friend's horse. I recommend about 1/4 cup in each boot, less if it's too expensive! So if you can use some fresh gold bond (or generic if cheaper = Equate brand) in your boots daily it can help keep things dryer. For thin and sensitive soles, keeping them dry is important. I also like a thin layer of hoof armor on the soles as I find them very good for normalising moisture levels in the sole. Stops them getting soft/soggy which is a pre-cursor to more shedding and ouchiness.