Red has gone off his food,

jonno17@...

I have had some issues with Red eating his food over the past few days, he is currently not laminitic, he'll have a nibble here and there of his hay, he seems to want to eat it but doesn't but if I take him out for a walk he'll snatch at the grass and eat that, he's having the same hay he's always had, soaked, I've even tried it unsoaked, I had the vet out Tuesday but all his vitals were normal, he has given me a tube of Ulcershield to give him which he's had 2 doses now, we are both suspecting ulcers, Red always presents as a mild colic when he has them which is what he's been like over the past few days, I've desperately been trying to get some food in to him so he doesn't end up with colic, I'm not sure what else I can do, he'll eat grass no problems but he can't have it, he's not a happy chappy, quite a bit of tail swishing going on and you can tell he's not happy by the expression on his face, does anyone have any suggestions?
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet

Hi Clarissa,

Did the vet check his teeth while he was there?  That's the first thing I think of when a horse goes off feed and nothing has been changed as far as his diet.  I'm not sure if you have any of the test tempting type of things there that we have there (like Stabul 1) or safe hay cubes like the Ontario Dehy that you could try him on in place of the grass.

Hopefully one of our other more local members has some thoughts for you on that front.

jonno17@...

Hi Sherry,
yes his teeth were checked, no problems there, I've been experimenting a bit, I popped him in a paddock with his grazing muzzle on and he will quite happily eat grass through that but obviously it's not a solution for getting him to eat, he does appear to have discomfort in his belly as he lays down quite a bit looking rather depressed but perks up as soon as grass is in the picture, I just wonder if the grass is easing his tummy discomfort although he has had very little, I wouldn't normally allow him to have any at all but I'm becoming desperate for him to eat.
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet
Tasmania, Australia
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Clarissa%20and%20Red_Poppet

jonno17@...

Oh, no taste tempters here that I know of, I have tried some beetroot powder with no luck there.
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet
Tasmania, Australia
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Clarissa%20and%20Red_Poppet

jonno17@...

He stole some oaten chaff from another horse here and ate that, he seems to want to eat everything he can't have but nothing he can :/
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet
Tasmania, Australia
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Clarissa%20and%20Red_Poppet

Maxine McArthur

Hi Clarissa
You could use Hygain Zero as a taste-tempter, it is generally safe in small quantities. Your case history says he used to get lucerne chaff--did he improve after you removed that? If it didn't make much difference to his comfort level, you could steep a tiny bit of chaff to make 'lucerne tea' and pour the water on the other hay, sometimes that lovely lucerne smell is encouraging.
Has his insulin been checked again recently? Was he ever tested for PPID? Have you tried opening a different bale of hay or is he like that with all of them? Will he eat if he's with another horse? (competition) Sorry for all the questions, just brainstorming. If he's prone to ulcers and colic, need to get him eating something. Hopefully the ulcer meds may help.

My horses went off the hay they'd been eating all winter as soon as we got some spring growth. Will not touch it, even though they don't have access to the grass except for a short time after work. I've had to get some teff and soak it, because at least they'll eat the teff soaked. Is that a possibility for you? (The teff is tested by the grower but I'm not certain the test is 100% accurate, hence the soaking.)

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

jonno17@...

Hi Maxine,
I've tried some zero pellets in his Maxisoy, he ate it the first time but hasn't since, he hasn't had access to any lucerne at all for a long time now as he seems to react to it (sore feet) My vet took bloods again Tuesday when he was here but I don't have the results yet. I've tried different hay, I have 3 types in my shed, the other horses are eating it now problem, I even took red in to my hay shed so he could choose what hay he wanted, he wasn't interested in the bales but would eat the smaller bits from the ground no problem, I even got my scissors out and chopped up some hay in to smaller pieces which he ate, the same hay in the bales so it seems he is preferring the short bits for some reason. I put another horse in with him as well but it hasn't made any difference, he's up on the track with Red now cleaning up what Red hasn't eaten, he appears depressed while he's on his track but bring him out and he gets life in to him, he spends quite a bit of time lying down on his track and seems very disinterested in everything. I can't get any Teff where I am unfortunately.
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet
Tasmania, Australia
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Clarissa%20and%20Red_Poppet

Maxine McArthur

Definitely don't use the lucerne then. Good that you've done the testing. Did the vet take a good look in his mouth --with a gag-- for any seeds, ulcers, gum irritation? I hate to suggest it, but can you chop up enough hay to encourage him to eat even if just for a couple of days?

Can you get beet pulp (Hygain Micrbeet, Speedibeet etc) where you are? Sometimes my guys go off Maxisoy but will eat the beet pulp, or sometimes I mix the two and they prefer that.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

jonno17@...

I've tried both Micrbeet and Speedibeet, he isn't interested in that at all, even when his appetite was good he'd rather not eat it. I just took him up some Maxisoy with a little zero pellets in it, he ate a little then walked away and laid down, I've cut some hay for him and I'll just pop it in tubs around his track, with any luck the wind won't come up like it has been, I've also called the vet again, this behaviour isn't normal for Red, just waiting for him to get back to me.
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet
Tasmania, Australia
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Clarissa%20and%20Red_Poppet

jonno17@...

I've spoken to the vet, around 8 weeks ago Red had his insulin tested and it was 18, results from Tuesday's blood is 134 so it's increased quite a bit, he's not lame, doesn't appear sore, he can trot, turn without issue, my vet can't come out until tomorrow but I'm thankful he can do it then, trying to get a horse vet over the weekend is very difficult here.
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet
Tasmania, Australia
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Clarissa%20and%20Red_Poppet

Is he passing manure? Drinking?  While you are waiting, take his pulse and temperature. Your vet will appreciate that information.

jonno17@...

He is passing manure but there isn't a lot when he does, I have seen him drink a couple of times and I have seen him wee, the urine is a golden colour, he's not a good drinker at the best of times, I always put salt in his small hard feed but as he's not eating that at the moment he isn't getting any, he has eaten a little over night, I put 3 tubs of  cut up hay that resembles chaff in with him and also a few biscuits of hay, he appears as though he wants to eat, he'll go have a nibble then walk off and lay down, I will take those vitals for my vet, thanks Dr K.
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet
Tasmania, Australia
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Clarissa%20and%20Red_Poppet

jonno17@...

I am considering worming him but I'm unsure if I should do so when his digestive system already seems upset, I don't want to make things worse.
--
Clarissa
November 2018-Red, Poppet
Tasmania, Australia
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Clarissa%20and%20Red_Poppet

jonno17@...

My vet has been this morning, checked his teeth/mouth again, no issues, checked all his vitals again, put hoof testers on etc, no reaction, when the vet had the stethoscope on his gut listening to it Red was not happy at all, very sensitive there but he's on day 3-4 of his Ulcershield medication and he's eating his hay this evening, perhaps it has taken a few days for the meds to kick on, Red has suffered with ulcers previously but hasn't gone off his food to such an extreme extent as this time around, I have to figure out a way of managing him to prevent the ulcers reoccurring, he's had them a few times now since his laminitic attack back in 2018, I can't put him back on grass and I'm not sure I should give him 24/7 access to hay, he is a stresshead and I can manage that to a certain degree, not sure where to go from here really. My vet also took bloods to test for Cushings, I should know the results early next week.