A Tribute to Our Volunteers

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Edited

I guarantee you that without our army of volunteers, both visible here and behind the scenes, this group would not exist!  I am going to start of feature of introducing them to you. Once a month we will feature one of these key people.

To start it off,  meet Martha McSherry.

In her own words:

Been on this planet 3/4 of a century

Born in NYC, lived in and still have ties to California (Santa Barbara and the SF Bay Area), Northern Arizona, Houston, and Northern Vermont, where I’ve been the past 45 years

Scientifically trained, and trained and trained.

Successful husbandry of beef cows, a Jersey cow, pigs, sheep, llamas, geese, chickens, horses, one husband (first husband not so successful), three kids and a part time stepdaughter and numerous dogs and cats.

Enjoy knitting and sewing as a part of my love of puzzle solving

Introduced to horses at age 9 in SB.  That’s me holding down the rump.

 Edited by Martha with Dr. K’s permission to delete the vacant photo and replace it with a link.

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/photo/253750/0?p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

A horse of my own (Morgan) finally! at 35.

Love dressage training, hate to compete (enough of that in academia),  Considerable experience as a novice vaulting longeur

Learned so much from having horses, as a boarder and at home with total care responsibility and now learning how to communicate with barn helpers.

Advice to pass on.  If your horse isn’t rideable and you’d still like to ride, you will learn so much by riding other people’s horses.  Thank you to all the generous people who were willing to have me ride their horses when mine was out of commission.  Would consider taking on a retired upper level dressage horse to continue feeding my fantasy.  That said, it’s been two years since I’ve ridden and I’m now trying to feel more secure on a bicycle.

Feel very honored to be able to work as an ECIR volunteer.  I am learning so much from those with more experience and from all the questions and comments of the members.

Buzz

Excellent!! Thank you to all who care so much!!
--
Buzzem TN  2017
Marsha B

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Buzzy

Heidi Wright

What a great idea to introduce the incredible selfless generous volunteers!  Love Martha's bio.

Heidi Wright

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 9:03 AM Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:
[...]

joined Aug 15, 2018
5130 State Route 38
Malta, IL  60150
815-761-2341

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heidi%20and%20Skyler

Lynn Marlow

Thank you for doing this ! Our volunteers are WONDERFUL and we love meeting them this way!
Lynn Marlow

On Sep 17, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

[...]

Lynn

You are so right Dr. Kellon – I tell people all the time that without all of you Relevante would most likely not be alive today. You all saved his life!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Beavercreek, Ohio
March 2018
Relevante Case History
Relevante Photo Album

Frances C.

This is lovely! Thank you Dr. K. Thank you Sherry. So much to appreciate with this group

[...]

- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

Mimi Costley

Great idea!
Thanks,
Mimi

On Thursday, September 17, 2020, 10:03:21 AM EDT, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

[...]

Cindy Galloway

This is delightful!  Love this - especially the "Considerable experience as a novice vaulting longeur ".  Cindy
--
Cindy Galloway

Cindy Galloway - Artist
630.777.4045

--
- Cindy
November 2017, Campton Hills, Illinois

Quattro
Yellow Horse

Debra

LOVE IT! I can't see the picture tho :-(

Nice to "meet you" Martha McSherry.Thank you for being a volunteer w/ the group! It's such an amazing community and I'm so grateful to have found it.
--
Debra Doerfler
San Marcos (San Diego County), California

Joy V

So lovely to meet Martha.

I'm beyond grateful for each and very volunteer in this group.  Thank you all so much for your help!!

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Maria Duran

Love this, thanks for doing it, sometimes we are so focused in our horses that forget to acknowledge the hard work of this group. We all have trouble, lives, challenges.....but then there are super women who still have time to help and support others.

Haha Martha, I also love dressage and hate competition.

Thanks all for being there.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Penelope

Hi Dr Kellon!

This was absolutely wonderful! Thank you! It is just so nice to put a picture to a name. ECIR has been a lifeline for so many of us and my friend Janet and I thank our lucky stars that you (and the ECIR volunteers) exist!!!

Sincerely,
Penelope Kojima and Isobel (and Sylvie the young dragon who is PPID/IR free)

[...]

Penelope and Isobel ("Lucky Folly" 1998 TB, 62 starts, retired Prelim eventer)
PPID diagnosis Fall, 2017
East Bay, northern CA, member since 2018

Yes, definitely lovely to meet Martha.  And Martha and I grew up at the same time in Santa Barbara, which is an absolute treat to know.  Earl Warren Fairgrounds, Santa Barbara Fiesta horses to watch, maybe riding in the coastal hills or at a Hope Ranch stables.

--
Gail Russell 8/30/2008

 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gail%20and%20Brother%20-%20Odin%20-%20Decaffe%20%20-Gunthar .

Daisy Shepherd

Good to meet you Martha. Thank you Dr. Kellon
 Daisy and tiko

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 8:03 AM Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:
[...]

Apparently Dr. Kellon can see the photo but the rest of us mere mortals cannot.  Here’s a link.  I did this incorrectly the first time so, hopefully this will work.  There are two photos now, a bonus!, taken 60 years apart, haha.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Gail, that is too funny!  I lived at the lower end of Eucalyptus Hill Rd but I had relatives who lived at Hope Ranch.  Most of my riding was done on a nearby pastured horse, after getting permission by calling a number, which I assumed was the owner.  Who knows?  It may have been my very first phone call.  We used to play in the pepper trees along a path bordering a Montecito golf course.  Much later, I learned that my husband’s family lived in a house bordering that same golf course, many years after I’d moved away.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012

Martha and Logo

Joy V

Love it!  A lifelong horsewoman.  <3

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Donna Coughlin

Dr. Kellon, what a GREAT idea, thank you so much for doing this! I am so grateful to all the volunteers, have often wondered "who" they are and how they ever find/make the time to give such careful and helpful responses. I read every digest and always learn something. I save all the posts in various folders that I might want to reference later; Duke's folder is the fattest! Again, my horses and are are so very grateful to all of you.

Martha, you and I are the same age, glad to hear you're still going strong--and like you, I'm also a dressage person who hated showing, but love the training/learning process. Most of all, I love caring for my horses and watching their habit and antics—they live in my back yard.

--
Donna Coughlin, Duke, Robin Goodfellow, Ariel Max and Obi over the Rainbow Bridge (5/17)

CT 2009

Bobbie Day

You all know how I feel about all of you and the help and encouragement Des and I have received here.
But I’ll tell you again
THANK YOU 😊
I would also like to remind everyone that benefits from all your knowledge here that you can make a difference even in a small way. I’m not even close to being financially (ahem) comfortable but I have my Amazon Smile account set up to benefit ECIR and I do contribute a very small amount monthly. I can’t afford much but I do what I can.
I was fortunate to be able to take the NRC + class and am hoping to take the advanced class as well. I’m not young by any stretch but I try to pay it forward with what I’ve learned here even if it’s a challenge with my old brain.
Keep up the good work, and keep the faith ❤️

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020

Karen Ward

What a great idea, Dr. Kellon!  And thank you, Martha — what a fulfilling life you have had.  Seems so, from your description anyway.