Possible Weakness in Jaw Muscles

Somewhere, in all my reading over the years, I think I saw something that referred to jaw weakness in horses with IR or PPID? Not able to masticate well. Am I dreaming this?
--
Sondra in Maryland 2013

Sherry Morse

Hi Sondra,

You are not imagining that.  Jaw muscles can weaken with uncontrolled PPID.  It's one of the things mentioned when horses lose weight for unknown causes so it comes up on the list now and again.

Joy V

Wow.  I have never heard of this.  Could this cause TMJ issues as well?

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Hi Joy,

Possibly - if you do a search in the archived messages for "jaw" or "TMJ" you'll find a number of references but this might be the most helpful as far as how to treat TMJ:

Thank you!
--
Sondra in Maryland 2013

Joy V

Thank you Sherry!!

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Selenium deficiency in adult horses can also present as masseter weakness.

Tanna

Interesting! I started that "tmj" thread that Sherry referred to.

My mare has gotten "stuck" again twice this week; once after a Reiki treatment (where she yawned a few times) and yesterday after after a short ride (we've been limited by smoke).

I keep a lot of notes, in order to watch out for things, and the first time it happened was exactly two years ago, just one week later.

I do watch to keep on top of tightness in her jaw and poll regularly but haven't had to actively do much else. We're much more active this year than the last.

Dr. K. Are there are other signs that might be associated with selenium deficiency? Are there seasonal deficiencies?

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

Rhonda Turley

I have had horses with TMJ.  If the jaws don't align (parrot mouth for example) there can be TMJ.  In this case I have an equine chiropractor start regular treatment.  My current horse has a slight parrot mouth and an old injury from before I bought him, to his C1/C2 area. So he has regular chiropractic once or twice a year.  I can also do trigger point therapy on his head and neck and the rest of his body.
--
Rhonda Turley
Brampton, Ontario

Joy V

Rhonda, do you have an online source (charts or something of that nature) that show the trigger points for equines?  If so would you mind sharing a link with me?

Thank you!
Joy

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Rhonda Turley

There are some YouTube videos on equine trigger points.  Found this article: https://ivcjournal.com/tmj-the-master-link/
I mostly use books:  Basting Muscle Injuries for Horses by Jack Meagher, 1984, still available from Amazon, Trigger Points 4 Horses,  by Andy Eckley and have just bought

A CLINICIANS GUIDE TO MYOFASCIAL PAIN IN THE EQUINE PATIENT Paperback – Aug. 29 2020 also on Amazon

--
Rhonda Turley
Brampton, Ontario

Tanna

There is also a Trigger Point Therapy for Horses course available through Niel Asher Education. Lots of video and charts provided through that.

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

Joy V

Thanks so much Rhonda & Tanna.  I really appreciate the sources.

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Rhonda Turley

https://www.jessicalimpkin.co.uk/jessica-limpkin-equine-massage-blog/introduction-to-trigger-point-therapy-for-horses
Found this with a map of trigger points including the head
--
Rhonda Turley
Brampton, Ontario

Joy V

This is excellent, thank you again Rhonda!

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019