Rye hay?

Tucker

I have found a source for hay and it is mostly orchard with Rye and a little bermuda and a small amount of Fescue all mixed together. I have been using straight fescue and would like something different. I haven't really heard of using Rye grass so wondering if this is a good type of hay that's not too high in sugar? I will be going to look at it on Tuesday and will get it tested but not until after I have it delivered. Thank you!
--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018

Rye tends to run very high S/S.  One problem with mixed hays is that even if the mixture tests OK the horse will always tend to pick through it for the tastiest parts and leave the rest.

Tucker

Thank you, I have been researching and found the same. I will keep searching for a better source of hay.
--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tucker%20and%20Indigo

Tucker

Dr. Kellon, I just talked to a hay supplier that has orchard grass/crab grass mix hay. He said it is low in sugar/starch. It is expensive - $12.00 a bale. Would this be a good choice? I won't be breeding my pony so would fescue be ok? It is a lot cheaper per bale. Thanks!
--
Tucker and Indigo
NC, Nov 2018
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tucker%20and%20Indigo

The orchard and crabgrass is OK but never take anyone's word that it's low.

Fescue not a good idea:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22585825

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29293720