Shomee passed this morning

Kim Rice

Hi Group,

It is with a heavy heart I tell you that my 23 1/2 year old Missouri Fox Trotter Shomee passed this morning.  We have been together for 19 1/2 years and he was such a funny, warm, inquisitive guy and helped other young horses learn the ropes out on the trails.

He was in extreme pain yesterday and was rushed to UC Davis.  He arrived doctor said it is a 50/50 chance and I said to go to surgery where the doctor said if it had been later there would have been no saving him.

His secum and small intestines were twisted, compressed and bruised.  They were able to untwist them, decompress and put in the right spots.

He was doing well until 5:30 this morning and looked uncomfortable.  They did lots of blood work on him and he was going downhill.

Talked with the doctor at 8:00 and she went back in and called about 9:20 and said that the secum was sending toxins and blood clots into the intestines; that can't remove the secum and if we did a resection, the secum would still be there toxic.  She said the prognosis for a good outcome wasn't really good and that I did everything I could for him.  So, he is over the rainbow bridge with my Lacee Nine Clouds and his other friends.

My question for Dr. Kellon is, do we save the pancreas and biopsy and send in the results for science?  Is there anything else we should look at?

I know it is alot but with him there at a teaching university and I have done so much for this wonderful steed, I want to know everything we can for PPID and IR  and laminitic horses.

I'll update his case history soon but not right now.

Thank you,

--
Kim R, Lafayette, CA  2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Shomee

Judy and Bugsy

((((Kim,))))

So very sorry to hear of this sad news. These darn horses weasel their way into our hearts and when they leave is we are heartbroken.

Fly free dear Shomee and land softly. 😢
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

celestinefarm

Kim,
Heartfelt condolences on the passing of Shomee. The best thing you can do is talk with the vets at Davis about what they are investigating and what donations from Shomee would be best used. That would be a wonderful legacy for Shomee and could help other horses in ways you couldn't anticipate.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Maxine McArthur

I’m so sorry to hear this, Kim, my condolences. Thank you for thinking of other horses in your time of grief.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Nancy C

Oh Kim, I am so very sorry. You absolutely did every thing for your sweet boy. Thank you for wanting to do more for those that come next. FWIW, when Beau passed, I pulled a slide of his liver, his pancreas and nerve endings in the foot.

Here are the instructions I got

Liver and pancreas histology could be helpful because of his high glucose. If he's iron overloaded the liver will show it.  I’d also consider submitting one of his digital nerves to look for decreased numbers of myelinated and nonmyelinated fibers (neuropathic pain change).

Will flag Dr Kellon if there is other to do.

Fly free sweet, sweet Shomee.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 12-15, Harrisburg, PA

Allison

I'm so sorry for your loss :(
--
Allison in Ontario 2020

Kim Rice

Thank you for your condolences.

I had another long talk with the vet at UC Davis and she said the last few weeks have been really crazy and not sure why.  I asked her if she thought that a huge factor could be all the wildfires, smoke and particulates in the air for such a long time and our beasts having to live in it 24/7 might have anything to do with it.  She wasn't sure but wasn't dismissing that idea.

I have decided to have them do a full necropsy in the name of science and helping.
--
Kim R, Lafayette, CA  2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kim%20and%20Shomee

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Sherry Morse

Kim I'm so sorry to read this but thank you for thinking of others and wanting to see what can be learned from Shomee.

Kim, I’m so sorry to learn of your loss today.  Thank you for sharing a bit of Shomee’s personality with us.  That’s very kind and generous of you to support veterinary research in that way.  I’m sure UC Davis appreciates your gift.  I’ll have you in my thoughts.  May your good memories prevail.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Kirsten Rasmussen

I'm so sorry for your loss, Kim.  He is in green pastures now, with friends and family that have gone on before him.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Carla Anderson Peters

I am so very very sorry for your loss. I know how much heart and soul we put into these horses. Hugs to you.
--
Carla

December 2013, WI

Cupcake and Gunnar's Case Histories

Cupcake's Photos

Gunnar's Photos

Bobbie Day

Helen Connor

Kim, you and Shomee obviously had a wonderful life together. Thank you for thinking of how he might help more horses, even now. Wishing you the best in this sad time.

Helen Connor and Blessing (IR/PPID)
Scappoose, OR

--
Helen Connor and Blessing (IR/PPID)
Scappoose, OR
Member since May 2017
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Helen%20and%20Blessing
Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6847

Trisha DePietro

Kim. Very sorry to hear of Shomee's passing. Thank you for donating Shomee's body to science. Its a  beautiful gift really, to all of us, as we strive to learn more and more each day from our horses. It's a beautiful memorial for him.
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Lynn

Kim! I add my heartfelt condolences to everyone else's. I love what you are doing to help others and immortalize your boy. Your description of him makes me smile. I'm so very sorry!
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

hdavis

Cindy Q

Hi Kim

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Shomee sounds like he had a wonderful home with you as you cared so much for him and allowed his personality to show :)
--
Cindy and Glow - Sep 2017, Singapore
ECIR Primary Response

Kim, 19 years is a long time. I am so sorry. Your dedication to Shomee and to all equines is a model. Thinking of both of you.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Donna Coughlin

I am so sorry for your loss. Similar to Shownee, I lost my big guy (Oberon) during colic surgery for a twisted secum and large intestine (usually a worse prognosis). I sat in the OR during surgery for over 4 hours, but he couldn't be saved—too much dead tissue. And my vet is a superb surgeon. Like you, he was with me for almost 20 years (I bought him when he was 10 months old). I caught it very early, but by the time the vet came here, and I trailered him to the clinic, he was also in excruciating pain. That was 3 years ago. I was blessed to share his life and all his adventures; I say good night to him every evening after I've tucked everyone in, as I'm walking from the barn to the house and I look up at the stars. I am sure they are all up there, playing and pain free.

--
Donna Coughlin, Duke, Robin Goodfellow, Ariel Max and Obi over the Rainbow Bridge (5/17)

CT 2009