Vet visit and treats?

Pat

Hello,

Feeding: I have Willow at her new barn.  She is having about 19-20 pounds of tested hay. (3.5 flakes, assuming average weight of 5.5).  3 flakes straight and one half in a hay ball.
I've asked for the hay analysis but have not received it yet. She is getting Amino Trace Plus. She has lost about 20-30 pounds by tape over the last four weeks and is getting more of a slope leading up to her spine (not filling in flat from top of ribs to spine like before). Her ribs are easier to feel.

Feet: She is walking easily in boots with extra pads in them. I haven't tried her without boots for four weeks (I'm keeping them dry and clean). Its been awhile since the last trim but she will have one next Thursday. I will share with the farrier your advice in a previous note and book the next trim much sooner. Footing is lovely soft sand in new outdoor but a bit rocky getting from barn to arena (about 10-15 yards).

IR Test: Vet coming on Saturday at 10 AM. I have asked for IR test. She will have been fed at 7:00-7:30. Probably have it eaten by 8-8:30. From other posts it sounds like a test at 10:00 would be ok? (not fasting)

Rewards: I was wondering if timothy pellets are ok as a training reward? I was using alfalfa pellets but have noted to avoid that for now. She wouldn't ever get more than a half cup for training rewards. I might try a treat ball, in which case I might give her as much as a cup.  Or would something like split peas be better? She is very impatient in her stall (she has a small paddock attached) and is pawing at the door. She knows how to use the presence of a door to raise a ruckus! Something to occupy her would be helpful. A large dry paddock is under construction but not done yet.

Thanks so much,
Pat
PS I will update case history after vet visit.

--
Pat
August 2020

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Pat, good to hear she's at her new barn!

Any chance you could go visit her early Saturday am and give her your hay yourself at 6 am?  We do recommend feeding at least 4 hrs in advance of bloodwork if they tend to run out of hay overnight.  Even if she's done eating before the blood pull, her insulin will still be elevated in her blood in that 4 hrs.  We also recommend sending blood to U Guelph over Idexx if you have a choice.

I think a few Timothy pellets would be ok as hand treats but putting a cup's worth in a ball is past the point of hand treats.  Have you tried the Ontario Dehy Timothy Complete hay cubes?  They are tested and guaranteed to be less than 10% ESC+starch, and I use them in a ball for my horse, he gets 2 cups of them a day.  Of course he is now an expert at getting them out, but there's usually 1 or 2 he just can't get out and he'll go back and try repeatedly to get them out if he's bored.   I would see what her blood work shows first and then you can decide how strict you are going to be about diet.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Pat

I'm pretty far away. I can ask that she just be given half a flake (2-3 lbs) and no beet pulp or supps and that she is fed promptly at 7. Would that help?
--
Pat
August 2020
Metro Vancouver BC Canada
Case: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Willow
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253325

Pat

Where are you buying the Ontario Dehy product in BC and... is it the one called "balance"?

Thanks!!
--
Pat
August 2020
Metro Vancouver BC Canada
Case: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Willow
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253325

Sherry Morse

Hi Pat,

You want her not fasting prior to the bloodwork so if anything she should be getting more at breakfast to keep her occupied, not less (unless I misinterpreted what you meant, which is always possible!)

Kirsten Rasmussen

The feed store in Smithers brings them in from Edmonton.  I'm sure you can find somewhere in the lower mainland to get them.

They are also sold as Ontario Dehy Timothy Complete Cubes.  The Timothy Balance cubes are the Triple Crown product (sorry I mixed up the name!), the same thing but packaged for the US and often found in southern BC as I think some feed stores there bring them in from the US.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Kirsten Rasmussen

If you can't arrange to have her fed 4 hrs in advance, at 6am, you could ask that she get more than she can eat overnight, so that she still has hay left in the morning.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Pat

I admit I am a bit confused.  She will be fed at 7:00 in the morning.  Her last feed the night before is at 9:00 PM.  (She is fed at 7 AM, 2:30 PM and 9 PM every day.)  The vet appointment is at 10 AM, 3 hours after her morning feeding.

At 7:00 AM, she will get 5.5 pounds of tested timothy hay and 1/2 cup of soaked beet pulp (no molasses) with her sups, salt and a couple ounces of ground flax seed.

I think maybe you thought I meant she is last fed at 7 PM the night before in your first response when you suggested I get there at 6 AM to feed her...?

So it sounds like it will be ok.

--
Pat
August 2020
Metro Vancouver BC Canada
Case: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Willow
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253325

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

She probably goes at least 8 hours without eating before her morning feed. That results in exaggerated insulin responses to the morning meal and insulin will stay up for about 4 hours. The 6:00 AM feeding time the day of testing is correct.

Pat

Ok, I am beginning to understand.

The appointment today was to check her feet with the possibility of an IR test. I will ask that we do not do the IR test today.

She is on full board some distance from my home. I cannot ask to have her fed at 6 and I cannot feed her myself at 6:00.

Her feeding schedule is 7 AM, 2:30 PM and 9 PM.  Based on that schedule, what is the best window of time for me to book an IR testing appointment?

Many thanks for your help,
--
Pat
August 2020
Metro Vancouver BC Canada
Case: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Willow
Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253325

Sherry Morse

Hi Pat,

If that schedule is set in stone you want the vet there to draw blood at 11am.

Kirsten Rasmussen

As Sherry said, no earlier than 11 am.   But any time after that is fine, too.  The issue is going more than 6 hrs without hay overnight that causes the exagerated long insulin spike in the morning.   Later in the day her meals are spaced out better so you wouldn't have to worry about timing.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History