Urine strips for testing

TERRI JENNINGS

Hi All,
My vet wanted to check Finn’s urine for our first test. Luckily he has a favorite spot on the trail. He pees there every time. She said everything was normal. Today I did the second test. Are there specific values on the test we are checking or are we checking every value?  I just want to be sure I’m doing this correctly.

Thanks,
--
Terri Jennings with Teeny, Finn and Elliott
Arcata, CA

LJ Friedman

from dr kellon;

--  Sample midstream, not at the very beginning or end of urination. Leucocytes and nitrites are the most sensitive indicators. Blood and protein may also be positive.
If you get a positive test, or see suggestive signs in your horse, notify your veterinarian.
(You should expect to see glucose at the highest levels. That means Invokana is working.)

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Kirsten Rasmussen

I'm assuming this is what you are looking for with respect to a UTI?

Leucocytes and nitrites are the most sensitive indicators. Blood and protein may also be positive.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

LJ Friedman

i believe??? this concerns invokana testing

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

TERRI JENNINGS

Yes, this is because he’s on invokana.

His protein was a bit high but our current hay is a little higher in protein than desired.
--
Terri Jennings with Teeny, Finn and Elliott
Arcata, CA
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Terri%20and%20Teeny
Joined 2019

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Just to be clear, there should never be protein in the urine but the test is prone to false positives with alkaline urine. Mucus from sludge or stone irritation will also cause a positive. It's not a cause for alarm when an isolated finding unless it occurs repeatedly.  Excess dietary protein is broken down and the carbohydrate backbone of the amino acids is burned for energy. The amine/nitrogen groups are processed to urea in the liver and excreted in urine.

TERRI JENNINGS

Thank you Dr. Kellon. I’ll keep checking.