Maintain Bodie on 9 mgs pergolide or not?

grandmalynn44

I requested an increase in Bodie’s pergolide from 7 to 9 mgs from the vet because he had developed laminitis symptoms in August.  I had used my 7mg pill plus a portion of another to get his level up to 9 mgs before I was able to get him retested. Test came back 34.1 (9-35) while on 9 mgs. pergolide.  The vet approved my 9 mg request but did not give any refills.  He is doing well when I ride him and I feel this is a good dosage for him.  My question is whether I should ask to keep him on this dosage or should I agree to go back to 7 mgs once the seasonal rise is over if the vet suggests that?  I’m reluctant to keep retesting due to the cost. How often is it that a PPID horse can go back down in pergolide dosage after the rise is over?  Bodie is 25 and has been on pergolide since at least 2015.

His case history should be up to date in the files.
--
Lynn McKechnie

N. California, May, 2011

Mica:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Mica
Bodie:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynn%20and%20Bodie

Lynn, do you have a photo album for Bodie??

Your case history is great by the way~

--
Ellen
Pal & Savvy

Ellen and Lynn:
Bodie's photo album is at this link:

Lynn, would you please click that link and change the album name to Lynn and Bodie.
You'll see a blue button +Edit Album near the top of the page.   Click that button and update the name of the album to Lynn and Bodie. Then be sure to click the Update button at the bottom of the page.

Next, please add the link to the new photo album to your automatic signature. https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/editsub Don't for get to SAVE at the bottom of the page.

ECIR volunteers appreciate this help in locating information.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

LJ Friedman

In my view, Ppid is often progressive so you need more and more cp. With that being said, if the 9 mg has caused zero side effects ,then I would keep steady at 9 mg.

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Sherry Morse

Hi Lynn,

Decreasing doses of pergolide is usually only feasible in the early stages of PPID. When did he develop laminitis symptoms? When was this latest test performed?  From your CH it looks like you bumped him up to 8mgs on Aug 6 and retested on the 25th which is not quite 3 weeks but probably close enough.  At that point he was 31.5, but if he developed symptoms after that it's a pretty good indication that 8mgs is not enough for him during the rise.

Unfortunately the only way to determine if you could drop the dose would be to retest him early next year and see what his level is at that point. You could either drop the dose back to 7mgs and then test 3 weeks later to see or leave him at 9mgs and check him on that dose, but unfortunately there really is no right or wrong answer as this is all very much dependent on the individual horse.

grandmalynn44

Thanks for your help on this, Cass!
--

Bodie photos:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253481