Topics

Trimmer coming on Wednesday

Judy and Bugsy

Bugsy continues to do very well.  We have switched to this year's new hay (no more soaking!) and new custom mineral blend.  I have uploaded Bugsy's pre-trim pictures and am hoping Lavinia has a chance to do mark ups.
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

Judy,
I looked at Bugsy's case history folder. I saw a hay test for hay from last year. Do you have a hay test you can post for this year? Just curious, I like to look at members hay tests.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Judy and Bugsy

I posted Bugsy's post-trim photos in his album.  I would like Lavinia et.al. to have a look to see if I need to do any tweaking besides continue with ACV soaking.  I'm thinking I need to do more top down rasping to address the flares.

Thanks in advance!

And yes Bonnie, I do have the hay analysis for this year's hay.  I'm not sure I remember how to upload it though, so I will have to figure that out.
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

Judy and Bugsy

This year’s hay analysis is now posted.
--

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Judy,

I've added the mark-ups for Bugsy's trim to his album. I already sent this info to you in time for the actual trim but for those interested and/or following his journey:

Bugsy's trim has come a long way - kudos to you for making that happen. Kudos to your farrier for being willing to try doing something outside his comfort zone. There appear to be definite improvements in the concavity, which usually goes along with increases in sole depth. Toes are moving back nicely; heels have made some improvements but they are really the biggest sticking point now. Getting the flaring in the heel area fully controlled will help, as will making sure Bugsy is always landing heel-first when moving at any speed more than an ambling walk.

LF lateral: Blue area still needs to back up more. This is the area in front of where the sole appears to ridge when looking at it from below. You can see the spaghetti-like texture that tells you it's laminar wedge material. Green line is the visual of how the hoof capsule will eventually be aligned. Orange line shows where the heels will eventually reside.

LF lateral sole plane: Lime line follows the top of the ridge. Bevel everything ahead of that away even more. Lay the rasp flat across the hoof side-to-side. Measure the depth of the collateral grooves just behind the tip of the frog from their deepest point to the bottom of the rasp. If that is 3/4", sole depth is good. If the toe ridge is taller than that point, you can lower that to the height of the rasp. Then measure the collateral groove depth as at their deepest point in the back of the foot - want 1". Any more than that means you can shave the difference off the heels. Short blue lines are all small areas that can be trimmed away to get rid of loose tags and the hooks that the heels are developing.

LF sole plane: Yellow circle contains that central sulcus crack that is still present. Keep up with treating that several times per week until it closes up entirely. small blue hashes are the same ones in the lateral sole plane shot.

LF sole: Solid blue lines are where the perimeter should be: toe back, heel flares in, light leveling then ramping of the backs of the heel buttresses. Hashed areas are what needs to be removed. Yellow hashes are along the leading edges of the bars, which can be lowered slightly as they appear ready to crumble off.

RF lateral: Blue means toe back some more, orange is where the heels will eventually end up, green line is how the dorsal wall will eventually align.

RF lateral sole plane: Lime line runs along the top of the toe ridge. Blue area is remaining laminar wedge that can be eliminated. Short blue hashed lines are bits of loose periople and curling-over heel buttress that can be tidied up.

RF sole: Blue in the toe is ahead of the toe ridge and can be removed. Blue in the heels is where the subtle heel flaring can be addressed. Yellow hashes run along the tops of the bars, where they can be cleaned up as they appear to be crumbling away.

LH lateral: Same general notes as the fronts but note how the coronary band is pulled down and forward as it reaches the heels - whereas in the fronts, it is fairly level.  Rocker the back of the heel buttress lightly to help it to start standing more upright.

LH sole plane: Purple hashes are where to add the rockers/ramps to the heels. Blue hashes are the tops of the bars that can be lowered a bit.

LH sole: Lime hashed area at the tip of the frog is some overgrowth that has twisted medially. It appears to just be "hanging out" there, so can be removed if it's not firmly attached. Solid blue line is the new perimeter, with the blue hashed area what needs to be brought inward - esp. in the toe and the heels. Yellow hashed areas are the tops of the bars that can be tidied p a bit.

RH lateral: Same discussion as the other three feet.

RH sole: Same idea as the LH.

As before, padded boots as needed - meaning any time he is the least bit tender or isn't landing heel first at any speed greater than a walk. Never want to see toe-first landings as those are both an indication something else isn't correct and they cause damage.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Judy,

I've added the latest mark-ups to Bugsy's album:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=243358&p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Lots of good things have happened and Bugsy is a much happier camper thanks to all of your hard work. So happy for both of you 🙂

Keep an eye on the collateral groove depth in each foot to monitor medio-lateral balance. Heels are starting to respond but still have a ways to go. Hinds are looking a lot better, more quickly than the fronts, but they weren't as badly damaged overall. He's really developing concavity now, which is helping to give you a bit more flexibility in getting corrections in place. Continue to blend the remaining flaring into the angles of the healthier wall from above. Continue creeping the heels back while keeping the toes from taking off ahead of him.

https://www.hoofrehab.com/Balance.html

https://www.hoofrehab.com/HorsesSole.html

https://www.hoofrehab.com/HeelHeight.html

RF dorsal: The blue area is that ridge of flaky sole material around the perimeter in the front. Lower that a bit to get the foot more level to the ground and to allow for lowering/backing up the heels some.

RF lateral: Blue area is where to back up the toe more. Blue line under the heel is where to lower/back the heels up some.

RF lateral sole plane: Blue area corresponds to the blue area on the dorsal view. The blue hashed areas are along the excess bar height , heel height and some dried up frog tags that can all be removed. Green line is the visual of where the dorsal wall eventually will line up.

RF sole: Solid blue lie is where the perimeter should be. Blue hashed areas are what needs to be removed. There is some dried up frog material at the back of the frog, along with some peeling periople, that can be removed. Yellow hashes are along those leading edges of the bars that appear to be detaching, so can be removed. Orange circles are where to establish the new heel buttresses.

LF lateral: Green line follows the pastern angle down to the ground to highlight how we're trying to align the entire foot. Blue area is again the toe height and length that can be removed. Orange line is where the heels will eventually be. Yellow line follows the coronary band and is relatively even now, except for the dip at the heels where it dragged down and forward. As the heels come back, that dip will also relax back up so that eventually it will flow smoothly into the rest of the coronary band angle.

LF lateral sole plane: All the blue areas correspond to the blue on the lateral view: lower the ridge in the front a bit;  back up the toe and bevel it; level the hooks on the heels; remove the raggedy tags of frog/periople.

LF sole: Same general idea as the RF. The frog is narrower, more elongated, suggesting he isn't landing heel first here with any regularity. If that's the case, need to figure out how to pad and boot so that he will engage that foot more.

RH dorsal: Blue area is some sole ridge that can be lowered a bit to help get the HPA in better alignment.

RH lateral: Blue areas are where to bring the toe back and move the heel back some more.

RH lateral sole plane: Solid blue area corresponds to the blue area on the dorsal view. Blue lines are where to lower the heels slightly, which will also move them back.

RH sole: Same general discussion as the fronts. There appears to be some excess frog covering the collateral groove on the medial side, which can be trimmed away. Ditto for the ragged bits along the back of the frog.

LH lateral: Green and orange lines are again the visuals for where the hoof capsule will eventually align. Blue area is where the toe needs to be brought back.

LH lateral sole plane: Same idea as the other three.

LH sole: Clean up the back of the frog where the rolled under heel bulbs are starting to wear away. Get that medial heel that's jutting out into better alignment with the rest of the hoof capsule so that the heel itself can start to stand up straighter. Clean up the leading edges of the bars lightly along the yellow hashes. Create the new heel buttresses in the areas of the orange circles.

Prioritize getting heel-first landings for him. If needed, experiment with various types of padding in his boots until you find what he needs at this point in time. Then be ready to experiment again when he tells you that isn't working anymore.