Topics

thrush!!

Sandy Gazzard

hi, yea I need to do the case history -im a toad.  im having the trimmer any day now. but prob due to the muddy track, I can remove the poos, but urine sadly no.
many thanks
--
sandy
, joined 27th January 2020. location. Cornwall-England

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

ACV and clay won't get the job done.  If the cracks are deep, clean them out with gauze and water with Fairy dish soap then rinse thoroughly using a small syringe and a cow teat cannula. Infuse with a mastitis antibiotic https://www.farmacy.co.uk/categories/159-milking-cow-tube ,  Cover the heels with a sanitary napkin held in place with a self-adhesive wrap https://www.farmacy.co.uk/products/555-vetrap-cohesive-bandage10cm-each .  Repeat daily until healed.

Hi Sandy,

This is where having hoof pictures and a case history can help us because while thrush can be related to living conditions, it can also be a problem related to hoof quality and the trim.  I don't see that you've joined the Case History group: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory but if you need help on getting started with posting pictures and a case history over there you can check the wiki for information (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/wiki/16248) and let us know if you get stuck where you need help.

As far as treatment though what you're using is a good overall start.  I've had luck using Cephapirin Benzathine (which we can get here in the states in a product called Tomorrow from Boehringer Ingelheim which is a dry cow mastitis treatment) for really stubborn cases but if you caught it early enough you might not need to go that route quite yet.

Sandy Gazzard

hi, I  know thrush is not a lami problem per say. but it is just  become   big problem for me. I keep my mare on a bare track, I poo is every day , she was in very bad mud last winter, weather was terrible.  she didn't get mud fever ,and  no  thrush until the spring.
its only early altumn now and she is getting thrush in her heels -never had it there before, but its getting worse. ive cleaned hoof with cider apple vinegar, and applied hoof putty(clay) ive put mud control mats in the track where she stands for hay.
I could shut her in  for the winter , but she needs lots of movement. I cant let her out in the grass,even muzzled .she gets bad f.f.l.( water in poos)  and it very at risk of  weight gain and lami.
 I don't know what I can do. sorry for long post
 many thanks