Topics

Excessive drinking and urination

Cindy Giovanetti

Dr. Kellon,

Is there any blood or urine test I should request to help me understand why Oden is drinking, eating salt, and urinating excessively?  Obviously ACTH, but anything else?

Could this possibly be related to the toe dragging?

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Cindy,

Limiting his salt to 1 to 2 oz would be the place to start. If it continues, good rundown here https://liphookequinehospital.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Renal-Urinary-LoRes.pdf .

I don't think toe dragging would be related.

Cindy Giovanetti

Thank you. That is practical and simple. I’ll let you know.

Cindy

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19

Kirsten Rasmussen

Cindy,

Shaku was eating excessive salt, too.  He was licking it then running his teeth and lips over a metal gate in the pole barn.  After the gate started to rust from the salt and saliva I realized this could be a source of metals in his diet.  So I moved his free salt to the back of the paddock on a wood post; it is lasting much longer.  He was doing it out of boredom.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Cindy Giovanetti

If ever there was a horse who would eat a salt block out of boredom and oral fixation, it would be Oden. He is unbelievably mouthy. He needs something in his mouth all the time. The limited diet has been very hard on him.

I’m trying the limited salt.

Cindy