From: "Eleanor Kellon, VMD" <drkellon@...>
To: main@ECIR.groups.io
Subject: [Special] [ECIR] Biotin Interference With Hormonal Assay
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 07:36:10 -0700

I ran across something this morning that's important to knowabout. Biotin supplementation may falsely raise or lower many
hormone assay results.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6007242/ . The FDA
has also issued several warnings. Tests can vary in their
susceptibility to interference depending on manufacturer
https://www.aacc.org/science-and-research/aacc-academy-guidance/
biotin-interference-in-laboratory-tests . That article also
describes the mechanisms of interference.
So far all information has pertained to human tests but most
hormonal assays for horses are tests originally developed for
humans then validated as working for horses. The susceptible
methodologies described are used in many equine testing labs. In
the absence of any equine specific information it would be wise
to discontinue any supplements containing more than 2 mg of
biotin for 6 days prior to hormone testing.

Diann  in VA 2020

Kate Schmidt-Hopper

Thanks for this info! Kate

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 7:36 AM Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:
[...]

Frances C.

Thank you Dr. Kellon

[...]

- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

Valletta Lochridge

Thank you for this information, Dr Kellon.  I want to be sure that I understand because I do add 20mg of Biotin to my mineral blend from Horse Tech.  Currently, I don't have a horse with PPID but my 17 y/o percheron cross has compensated IR.

As I understand the information in your post and in reading the articles, current thought is that Biotin supplementation isn't actually raising hormone levels in the body.  If that's the case, the benefits are still worth adding it to the diet.  Or, in your opinion, is there a question remaining as to the actual effect on hormone levels in the body?  Do the benefits of Biotin outweigh the risk of information not yet known?

Valletta in CA

Edited

Given that we don't know for sure yet if it's even a factor, and the alterations are not real - it's an artifact from the biotin, not a change in hormone levels - the benefits win out. I would say at this point it is mostly a consideration in scenarios where the results don't fit the clinical picture.

Valletta Lochridge

Wonderful - thank you, Dr Kellon.

Valletta in CA
2012

Anne Kenny

Thank you Dr. Kellon

On Oct 22, 2020, at 9:36 AM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

[...]

Ronelle

This might be a dumb question, but are we checking hormone levels when we test for PPID/IR?  I never thought about it before I saw Dr Kellon's post.
--
Ronelle and Yoyo
2015 Bend, Or, US

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

ACTH, insulin and T4 are hormones.

LJ Friedman

i Read the study on bio tin interference. I noticed the  ladies on biotin,and we’re taking a very high doses. Is 20 mg for a horse a high enough dose to cause interference?  thanks

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Interference has been reported with human doses as low as 5 mg, the equivalent of 20 mg for a horse.

LJ Friedman

Another hassle to get proper testing. Why don’t 20 of us do a test. Test acth and insulin with biotin and retest xxx number of days again, without biotin? II know my biotin is included in my custom supplement so that would be impossible  to separate out.. but i could figure out something if others cant test.  thoughts?  thanks for posting about  interference