Surpass vs Voltaren

Helen Connor

Dr. Kellon,

My vet tells me that Surpass has a carrier ingredient that penetrates horse skin better than Voltaren does. That sounds significant. Is it? It causes her to feel that Surpass is superior to Voltaren for horses. The cost difference is also significant (like nearly $60 different). Do you know if this difference really matters for skin penetration?

--
Helen Connor and Blessing (IR/PPID)
Scappoose, OR

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

As far as I know, no studies have been done comparing the two.

Joy V

I'm pretty sure the active ingredient on both of those products is the same one; diclofenac.  Not sure how it would be better absorbed because it is in a differently named product?

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Joy V

Ah, I misread, I missed "carrier product".  Sorry!  Ignore me.

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

LJ Friedman

I did call the manufacture. They do repeat that the equine product has a different vehicle to enhance more absorption. Not thinking it’s worth the difference though

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

NinaJW

Are you using this as a topical analgesic for arthritis? This Volaren is found in the “human” section, yes?
--
Nina and Jadon
Kentucky 2020

Hi Nina,

Voltaren (or plain old Diclofenac Sodium) is the human version.  I've used it on the horses occasionally (because it's so much cheaper than Surpass and for a while we couldn't get Surpass) and it seemed to work fine on them even without the special carrier but I was also putting it on clipped areas so that may have had something to do with it.

Helen Connor

Hi Nina,

Yes, I'm comparing the two products. Right now, I'm using the Surpass ointment. When that's goen, I'll switch over and try Voltaren. I think Surpass is working well for the stifle arthritis that Blessing is dealing with. Sorry I can't tell you yet how Voltaren compares.
--
Helen Connor and Blessing (IR/PPID)
Scappoose, OR
Member since May 2017
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Helen%20and%20Blessing
Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6847

Helen Connor

Sherry, that clipping comment is interesting. I wondered if that would make a difference. Blessing is growing out her clip from the ultrasound right now. I'm thought of trimming it back to help absorption. She's wearing a blanket already, so I'm not worried about exposure of the skin in that limited area.
--
Helen Connor and Blessing (IR/PPID)
Scappoose, OR
Member since May 2017
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Helen%20and%20Blessing
Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6847

Helen Connor

Sorry, that should have read, "I'm thinking of trimming..." I talk pretty someday.
--
Helen Connor and Blessing (IR/PPID)
Scappoose, OR
Member since May 2017
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Helen%20and%20Blessing
Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6847

Sherry Morse

Hi Helen,

Same here as far as I was putting it on an area that had been clipped for an ultrasound.  When I was using the low intensity ultrasound (different issue) that also required keeping the area clipped to help with the treatment but that particular injury didn't need Surpass so I can't say if it would have helped or not.

Penny Duthie

I do know through a co-worker that the over the counter Voltaren  is 1% where as the prescription is 3%. Don’t know about the surpass.
--
Penny Duthie
Grant, Florida

Carolyn Crocker

Have a prescription  tube of Diclofenac Sodium topical gel.  It is 1%.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device