nitro glycerine patch laminitis

LJ Friedman

I read a previous thread about nitrate induced laminitis. I’ve never heard of such a thing and when I did a search I read that you can use a nitroglycerin patches to help laminitis? Sounds crazy to me? Correct?

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Sherry Morse

LJ,

Found to be unsuccessful when studied: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16343148/

Although in 1997 it was thought it might be a useful treatment: https://thehorse.com/14745/nitroglycerine-for-laminitis-use-caution/ and even at that time it was noted it should not be used on horses with endotoxemic episodes.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Nitrate and nitroglycerin are not the same thing. Nitrate poisoning occurs when large amounts of nitrate are converted to nitrite which binds with hemoglobin and prevents oxygen binding. Nitroglycerin is a nitric oxide donor - same principle as supplementing with Jiaogulan to increase nitric oxide.

Nitroglycerin delivered directly into the blood supply does cause dilation of the hoof vessels. The failure of paste and patches in Gilhooly et al could have been for several reasons - dose, peculiarities of equine skin or strong counterregulatory actions in normal horses that counterbalanced it.

Gilhooly also stated:

"Vascular damage during laminitis may decrease NO concentrations, rendering the vessels more responsive to NTG-induced vasodilation. Therefore, our results do not necessarily predict a negative vasodilatory effect of NTG in horses
with laminitis. In fact, in a study using grass-induced laminitis in ponies, Hinckley et al. demonstrated alleviation of bounding digital pulses and improvement of lameness with administration of topical NTG."

Frances C.

I'm sure many of us have a  supply of RX prescription for nitroglycerin which fortunately is never used.  In the case of an emergency when you can't get vet. help would it help to administer ( 0.4 mg. tab every 5 mins. up to 3 doses for human use) or to continue to administer orally until digital pulse calmed down?  I know - against the law- Curious Frances
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California