Review of rads #photo-notice and metabolic panel question #photo-notice

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Laura,

It's the ESC+starch that you want to look at, which is going to be below WSC anyway.

Thanks for adding all the the rads.

To add to Dr. Kellon's comments, Ero's trim definitely needs to be addressed.

In the PPE rads, the toes were too long, sole depth was thin, HPA was broken back slightly. In the most recent rads, most of these issue are still present and have worsened.

Both feet have toes that are much too long, which is placing the breakover further ahead of where it should be and is likely the actual reason that you are seeing what is being described as WLD. The broken back HPAs have worsened, putting even more strain on the DDFT and navicular areas. RF is worse than the LF. Sole depth has improved since 2018 but at the cost of the HPA. Heels are more underrun than they were in the PPE.There is mild sidebone present, which points to long-term medio-lateral imbalances. Flaring is present in the walls. I can't see the heels to comment on them being contracted but the frogs are elongated and narrower than they should be (and are being over trimmed), which usually goes along with contracted heels.

Shoes won't fix any of the problems but they might succeed in hiding them for awhile. The trim itself needs to be corrected, whether you then put shoes on or not. I don't see any reason Ero needs to remain in shoes and see plenty of reasons to remove them. Glue-on shoes can be helpful for some horses, if they are thoughtfully applied rather than just used as a substitute for metal shoes. Padded boots are the better option during the transition (if needed), as you can change the padding frequently to accommodate his changing needs. It also allows for trimming on a more frequent schedule - which these feet may require initially to be able to stay ahead of growth that can out-pace the corrections. I'd recommend experimenting with wedged pads temporarily that will unload his heels and walls while simultaneously backing the toes to get the breakover set correctly. This will allow the heels to start to drop back into place without sacrificing the critical vertical height he is currently lacking in the back half of the feet.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The major finding on the films is a broken back axis which strains the DDFT and navicular area. No evidence of laminitis. Soaking hay won't fix this.

The only components of the metabolic work up that should be drawn at the same time are insulin and glucose.

Laura and Ero

Per suggestion from this group, I've taken rads of Ero's front feet and scheduled a metabolic panel. New feed arrived and his new diet starts today! He has been on soaked hay for two weeks (although testing results indicate WSC + starch is 9.63). Still feel better soaking until I get his blood results back.

1) New rads (4) are in his album, along with PPE rads (from 2 years ago when not in work), and hoof photos from his last trim/re-set two weeks ago. I'm looking for perspective/consult on these rads. Vet agreed he was under-run and had contracted heels (also dealing with WLD) and I'm treating thrush on my own with Pete's Goo. What concerns me is that the vet and current farrier have stated "this was my horse and that to continue staying comfortable in his dressage work, he must be kept in metal shoes, possibly add a wedged heel to the shoe". I just keep thinking there has to be other options. I'm also a little concerned with what I think is the start of sidebone, but she wasn't concerned (as long as he's kept in shoes). I'm not sure how to read these and did not receive a written summary from the vet. Note - I have reached out to a barefoot trimmer for an second consult, boots and/or easycare glue-on shoes as alt approach.

2) I also had vet pull blood for a full metabolic panel. Being a Friday, I asked questions in advance about it being chilled and spun within two hours and then sent on ice to Cornell. She stated she'd keep frozen and send on Monday to avoid it sitting over the weekend. However, I received a follow-up notice that she didn't pull blood for serum and that she'd come back on Monday to pull for that. Question - do the blood samples need to be from the same draw (same day/setting)? I can't be there on Monday to confirm my horse won't be turned out or fasted before they pull blood. He was fasted (just had hay) for initial pull. Anything I should be concerned with here? Vet is hard to track down and not real open to my questions. She wasn't able to confidently help me with the hay analysis, but agreed I should keep soaking my hay.

TL;DR:
1) Any issues with rads? Any reason I couldn't confidently try to remove metal shoes and stay working? (I'm hoping to get back to barefoot; open to transitioning with boots or glue-ons).
2) Bloodwork. Two different draws, 3 days apart. Will results be accurate and reliable?

Thanks,
Laura and Ero

October 2020 | Colgate, WI USA

Ero Case History