safe dewormers

Kandace Krause

At this time of year I have generally de-wormed with Quest Gel or Quest -gel Plus, for tape worms.  I remember seeing, somewhere, a "safe dewormers" file but cannot find it.  I have one PPID and one IR/PPID.
Thanks!
--
Kandace K Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K

Sherry Morse

Hi Kandace,

The information you're looking for is in the files: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Deworming

Kandace Krause

Thank you, Sherry.
--
Kandace K Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K

Lida

I reviewed the files, but a lot of the info was pretty old. Can we assume it is still valid? Because I was not sure, I called my vet and she did not recommend Quest for tapeworms. She said I should use Equimax, so that I what I used.

--
Lida
Indiana

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Regular Quest won't get tapeworms. You have to use Quest Plus. Like Equimax, it contains praziquantel.

P.S.  Yes, it is still valid.

Kandace Krause

Lida and Sherry
I also am interested in this, but what I could see was the fear of Quest and the Praxy-whats-it was more a problem for the IR horse.  I think that I can skip her deworming for the moment and just deal with my PPID geriatric mare who almost always has a high egg count and also has a hay belly and sway back, which I think has a lot to do with breeding and age also.  I have owned J since she was 10 and her back has been swayed since about 18.
--
Kandace K Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K

Kandace Krause

-Thank you, so do you think, as I just added to this thread, that I leave the IR horse for the time being and just give Quest Plus to my old girl?
Kandace K Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Edited

If you're trying to avoid the praziquantel, give your IR horse a month of daily Strongid pellets and use ivermectin for the other parasites.

Kandace Krause

Thank you, Eleanor.
--
Kandace K Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kandace%20J%20and%20K

LJ Friedman

I’ve been using equimax  for jesse , many times.
The last  time I  dewormed for tapes, I used the 30 days of the pellets. My thinking is ,with the protective effect of invokana, would it be OK to continue with ’equimax? Instead,  I can also send out for tapeworm  testing, just looking for something easy, etc  do no harm, etc
Jesse has  no “noticeable “reactions to it ever. Thanks

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos